You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing in AD V2

Is it possible to position an image on an A4 page so that only the part showing will print? If I select print 'Selection' it will centre it on the paper which is not what I want. I want the image to print exactly where I position it on the paper.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

13 hours ago, jackamus said:

position an image on an A4 page so that only the part showing will print?

Do you get more printed than is showing ? I am not sure what you mean exactly.

Nevertheless, it might work to draw a rectangle in page size (stroke/fill is not required & its layer hierarchy doesn't matter) and select this rectangle together with the object(s) you want to get printed, then choose "Selection" for print.

printselection.thumb.jpg.1e83acff307ce410bbfa8588c6c4b64b.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

15 hours ago, jackamus said:

position an image on an A4 page so that only the part showing will print?

I'm also unsure of what you want exactly

But if you just want the image printed but none of the other stuff in the document...

Right-click the image layer in the Layers Panel and select Hide Others
Print the document
Right-click the image layer in the Layers Panel and select Show Others

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you for your reply. I've probably made this sound more complicated than need be.

I drew a developed shape of a small cardboard box that just fitted on an A3 page. My printer (Epson L805) will only print A4. What I was attempting to do,

without printing on 2 sheets of A4, was to print on a sheet of A3 paper that was trimmed to 210mm wide and print out the full size image. I thought I could position the image at one end of an A4 page with the rest of the image running-off the other end of the page. My reasoning was that the off-page part of the image would also get printed on the longer sheet of trimmed down A3 paper.

This may be a printer problem rather than an ADV2 problem. I'm trying to research printing on longer sheets of paper for my particular printer but so far with no success.

Ant suggestions would be most welcome.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

6 hours ago, jackamus said:

My printer (Epson L805) will only print A4.

(…) print on a sheet of A3 paper that was trimmed to 210mm wide and print out the full size image. (…)

Do I understand right that you want to print on a sheet with 420 mm lengths which exceeds the limit of 297 mm (A4) of your printer … and thus treat the printer like one that can print 'endless' / on paper rolls? Also it's still unclear to me whether you finally want to get the full layout printed or just a part of it, cropped to an area smaller than your layout and sheet?

Can you show a screenshot of your layout page + a selected rectangle in size and position of the wanted print area + the print dialog (similar to my screenshot above but with rulers activated)?

28 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Do I understand right that you want to print on a sheet with 420 mm lengths which exceeds the limit of 297 mm (A4) of your printer … and thus treat the printer like one that can print 'endless' / on paper rolls? Also it's still unclear to me whether you finally want to get the full layout printed or just a part of it, cropped to an area smaller than your layout and sheet?

Can you show a screenshot of your layout page + a selected rectangle in size and position of the wanted print area + the print dialog (similar to my screenshot above but with rulers activated)?

Hi Thomaso,

Yes that is correct. Its a bit like printing on an endless sheet! I have attached the file of the image I want to print.

Vinyl template 4.afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

5 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Yes that is correct. Its a bit like printing on an endless sheet! I have attached the file of the image I want to print.

In this case it seems to be a matter of your printer hardware + its driver software, rather than a feature initiated by Affinity.
(sorry, I can't open V2. Also my print driver dialog & options may vary from yours).

Possibly you need to create for your printer a custom sheet size of e.g. 420 x 210 mm first to be enabled to choose this as print sheet format. For instance:

printcustomsheetsize1.jpg.9df271a88f7ba00e142149d055b34c2e.jpg printcustomsheetsize2.jpg.d6bcea6d43416d362f3c950f5069f1bf.jpg

9 minutes ago, thomaso said:

In this case it seems to be a matter of your printer hardware + its driver software, rather than a feature initiated by Affinity.
(sorry, I can't open V2. Also my print driver dialog & options may vary from yours).

Possibly you need to create for your printer a custom sheet size of e.g. 420 x 210 mm first to be enabled to choose this as print sheet format. For instance:

printcustomsheetsize1.jpg.9df271a88f7ba00e142149d055b34c2e.jpg printcustomsheetsize2.jpg.d6bcea6d43416d362f3c950f5069f1bf.jpg

Hi Thgomaso,

Thanks but I've tried various AD page sizes but the printer seems to ignore them. I'm pretty much convinced that it is a printer problem which I will have to check-out further. Thanks for your help.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

13 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I've tried various AD page sizes but the printer seems to ignore them.

Note, the layout page size SENT to the printer is not the same as the print sheet page size SET within the printer!

I doubt large layout sizes get ignored. The print dialog reflects/considers them in its scaling options, its preview (reddish 'overflow' colour) or its "Tile" option for instance.

printlargelayoutpage.thumb.jpg.c84ddff41655c3f84111e5f6328dcad7.jpg

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Hi Thomaso, That was interesting - my image will fit on a US legal size page and my printer support the same page size so I can now print the image on one sheet of paper. Finally got there! Thanks.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0