You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to print out the History Panel in Affinity Publisher?

Usually when I'm doing editing/proofreading, I use MS Word because of the Track Changes feature, which highlights every change I make within the document.  The History Panel records all the changes I make and I just realized I can toggle the 'Save History with Document' so that the History panel doesn't refresh every time I shut the document. What I'm wondering is - is there a way to somehow show the client all the changes made in the History Panel in sort of like a separate document or addendum to the finish file, if I export it as a PDF? Can I export the History panel's contents somehow as well? I'm currently doing a proofread after the layout and I don't want to do the proofread in the client's original Word document, because it will force me to redo all the work of laying it out again. If I can show all the changes that were made to the document after I've finished editing it, it would make things a whole lot easier.

No, there isn't. 

And even if there were, the data shown in the History panel does not have enough detail for your purpose.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

4 hours ago, Robert Gibson PWES said:

Can I export the History panel's contents somehow as well?

Recent versions of MacOS have OCR built in. You can enlarge the History panel as tall as possible and make screenshots of it. Then view them as QuickLook or in the Preview app. Click the blue button in bottom right-hand corner to convert the text pixels into real text which you can copy and paste into a text document.
Works great:

Raster crop
11-11-2023 21:48:02
Unsharp Mask 0.5/0.5
11-11-2023 21:48:08
Canon8800v3
11-11-2023 21:48:32
Set Document Metadata
11-11-2023 21:50:59
Set Document Metadata
11-11-2023 21:51:02
Set Document Metadata
11-11-2023 21:51:17
Set Document Metadata
11-11-2023 22:03:48
Set Document Metadata
11-11-2023 22:04:32
Set Document Metadata
11-11-2023 22:04:35

^ from a scan I was editing earlier tonight and that was still open in APh while I was typing this.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 minutes ago, loukash said:

the blue button in bottom right-hand corner

That said, I don't remember if the feature is on by default. It could be a MacOS system setting that needs to be turned on somewhere, I just forgot where.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Another way to to quickly show what work has been done is doing a screen recording and scroll through history from start to end, with document visible in canvas.

Mac mini M1 A2348

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 11/11/2023 at 8:11 PM, MikeTO said:

Acrobat Pro and PDF Expert can compare two PDFs so you could use one of them to help communicate changes to clients.

I am not sure if PDF Expert has any more functionality in the Premium version of the app, but the regular version that I have only "compares" without any intelligence two PDF documents by placing them side by side.

The only other app, besides Adobe Acrobat Pro, I know that can do useful comparisons, is PDF/X-Change (Windows only), but e.g. its image comparison does not cover attribute changes:

image.png.dae200d506bb40b21850ef5d25067e5b.png

Otherwise its comparison features are pretty much copied from Adobe Acrobat Pro:

image.png.7ea9d328286919ce8ed612df8a4e3f11.png

Whether PDF comparisons are useful, much depends on the kind of a document that is compared. For long texts I still use the method available in InDesign, which allows story-wise export to formatted RTF documents. That includes e.g. footnotes, as well, and when having e.g. captions also in one story, this method makes comparison of long documents using Word or LibreOffice document compare feature fast and effective. For very complex documents having text parts in independent stories, I use a script to collect page-by page in user-defined order style-tagged texts which are copied with page references into a new document. This would then make it possible to extract captions, table headings, footnotes, etc. as separate text elements and compare them to original texts (including local formatting like use of italics).