You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Recreating a part of logo in Designer 2

Hello,

I have a poor copy of a logo that I am trying to re-create in Designer 2. I think I got the shapes proper, but really am not terribly confident with my artistic abilities enough to re-draw/create the paint brush part of this logo so that it looks hand drawn.  

(The person sent his only copy of the logo which was on a T-shirt.)

Can someone help me maybe to create the paint brush part of the logo? I've attached my Designer file and the pic of the logo on a t-shirt. 

Thank you so much for any help or suggestions,

Chris

Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 10.52.58 PM.png

ProCoatings_logo-master.afdesign

Drawing the paint brush should be easy enough with some basic shapes and lines but we probably need more information about what you mean by “hand drawn” as that can be interpreted as different things by different people.

A good visual example of something that looks like what you want would be useful.

Also, do you need the result to be vector – for easy scaling – or raster?

Hi GarryP,

Thank you for your reply to my post. I will need to make the brush look more cartoonish, as if someone just drew a simple brush, rather than too precise. I just don't really know how to do this with a trackpad. It should be vector so that I can use it in a variety of ways. Perhaps put it on a t-shirt in a picture, or on a van, etc.

Markw's drawing was extremely helpful and I can probably roll with that! Thank you.  I only made the outline a bit thicker and the brush strokes a bit darker. 

It is so nice of you both to try and help me, I appreciate it so very much. I've attached my very light adjustment to markw's version. 

ProCoatings_logo-2.afdesign

Hi @chriscaldwell

I had a look at the logo and the brush used displays a translucent halo effect which to my mind looks unsightly. The effect is shown in the screenshot on the right, I think it was one of the pencil brushes.

The brushes used on the left are Simple pen (for closed curves) I used this for the handle of the brush, and then used Simple pen (for open curves) for the bristles.

This is just my personal observation.

Screenshot2023-11-12at08_26_23.thumb.png.196fc613d8e2d99bea39b6407105b7ea.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for posting your example.

I have a few concerns:
1. There is a slight ‘kink’ in the red part of the logo where the bristles touch the top of the ‘bar’.
2. Below that, the bristles and brush seems to be slightly ‘misaligned’  to the bottom of the ‘bar’.
3. The brush used to paint the bristles looks different to that of the brush itself and it looks a little ‘odd’ to me (but if it’s what you want then that’s fine).
4. Also, that brush seems to be creating some strange colouration – looks a bit yellow to me – over the red ‘bar’ (as mentioned by firstdefence above).
5. Have you used the ‘proper’ vector brushes – which should scale nicely – or the textured brushes – which might not scale as nicely?

4 hours ago, chriscaldwell said:

[...] It should be vector so that I can use it in a variety of ways [...]

ProCoatings_logo-2.afdesign 2.18 MB · 1 download

Note that the black lines in your document are stroked with Affinity so-called vector brushes which really stretch or repeat a raster image along a path, and so you won't get a purely vector export from it.

You guys are amazing, picking up the fine detail. (I take Affinity course on a somewhat regular basis, but have not been able to get this level of prociency. It's truly remarkable. Thank you.)

Garryp, do you mean by the slight angling of the brush, that creates an issue of a "kink?" I was trying to slightly offset the brush so that it would appear more natural. Yes, it's cartoonish, but I hope I'm explaining this right.

I'll remove the stroke around the brush-lines and try again! 

firsdefence, thank you for pointing this issue out with the halo. I totally missed that.

Thanks again.

12 hours ago, chriscaldwell said:

Garryp, do you mean by the slight angling of the brush, that creates an issue of a "kink?"

I meant that the horizontal section of the red ‘bar’ has a small vertical ‘offshoot’ for a small amount where the ‘bar’ meets the brush – see arrow in attached image. (I don’t know if this was deliberate or not.)

image.png.262e639bedf4b862984ff617bb353ce0.png

On 11/12/2023 at 1:42 AM, lepr said:

Note that the black lines in your document are stroked with Affinity so-called vector brushes which really stretch or repeat a raster image along a path, and so you won't get a purely vector export from it.

Thank you, lepr. I'm fixing it now, and appreciate your taking a look at this project!