You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to group adjustments and add a mask?

What am I doing wrong?

I have an image, I added a group and Selective color adjustment and mask. But when I paint the mask it make the image transparent
What am I missing and/or have set incorrect? I am sure I have done this or something very similar before and it worked just fine.
I want to have multiple adjustment layers and use a single mask to only effect part of an image

image.thumb.png.e8eb2af40aa95c2a5c6bcdddb7824c4c.pngI

24 minutes ago, chrisb123 said:

What am I doing wrong?

I have an image, I added a group and Selective color adjustment and mask. But when I paint the mask it make the image transparent
What am I missing and/or have set incorrect? I am sure I have done this or something very similar before and it worked just fine.
I want to have multiple adjustment layers and use a single mask to only effect part of an imageI

Hello @chrisb123,

you do not have to use a seperate mask. All adjustmentlayers do have a built in maks themselves. To accomplish what you want you make the Selective Colour Adjustment active and paint with a black brush on it. This will reduce the effect of this particular adjustment.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• Staff
3 hours ago, chrisb123 said:

What am I missing and/or have set incorrect?

I believe you have Masked the Mask & Adjustment Layer to this Group, rather than Nested the layers within the Group, meaning the Mask is applied to the whole image, rather than to the layers within the Group only. See the below Screen Recording showing the difference, whereby If I drag and drop both the Mask and the Adjustment over the Thumbnail of the Group, the Adjustment is Masked to the Group, causing the Mask to apply to your whole image:

8 minutes ago, chrisb123 said:

I want to have multiple adjustments all making the same effect on the image by all using the same mask.

To achieve this, make sure that your Adjustment layers are Nested within the group by dragging them onto the Group Layer Name, rather than the Group Thumbnail.

As can be seen in the Layers Stack, there is a line indicating which layers are Masked (the Mask Layer) and which are Nested (the Adjustment Layers) to the group:

image.png

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, chrisb123 said:

Wait, how does yours have the tiny gap between mask and adjustment layer.

You have it, too, I think, but it's between the Selective Color Adjustment and the Levels Adjustment. That's should mean that both the Mask and the Selective Color Adjustment are in the Mask position of the Group. 

You need to drag the Selective Color Adjustment onto the Group name, not its thumbnail.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
2 hours ago, chrisb123 said:

how does yours have the tiny gap between mask and adjustment layer. How is that done?

Please see the below video showing this: 

Currently in your Layers stack both layers are Masked to the Group, causing the behaviour you've reported. Moving the Adjustment out of the Group will unmask it, then you can drag and drop the adjustment onto the Group name and you'll find this is then Nested, rather than Masked, indicated by the separation line in the Layers Studio :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!