You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Affinity Photo HDR tool

I was recently using the Affinity Photo HDR tool with no problems.  However and quite suddenly the Preset options that usually show on the left have disappeared.  I've done the usual Google searches and some suggest 'resetting' the app by holding down CTRL when launching.  I'm using a Mac and neither CTRL, or cmd don't offer any reset option.  I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how I might get the reset panel back in view.

Best wishes

Rod

It would help to have a screenshot of the complete application window, to help understand what you're using and what you're seeing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

Hello Will

Thanks for your response.   I'm using Ver2 of Affinity Photo on an iMac running Ventura 13.5.2.   HDR seemed fine yesterday but as I said, no Presets show on the left after the Tone mapping is complete.  The images I've attached show the three chosen images in the HDR merge box.  The next screenshot shows the whole of Affinity's window after clicking OK on the Merge box and the final shot of the screen is after I clicked Apply.

Best wishes

Rod

HDR problems.docx

Just a comment for now, for the next time you provide screenshots: It's best to just paste a JPG or PNG into your post, rather than embedding them in some other format :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

It looks like you don't have the Left Studio showing. Try Window > Studio > Show Left Studio from the menu.

-- Walt
PC:

Hello Walt

Thanks for the prompt replies and the 'pasting tip', I'll do that in future.  As a rule, I don't have the left studio panel open and I can't think that it would have been when using HDR the other day.

However, I've just tried that and attached image.  I then loaded the three images into the HDR Merge box and clicked OK.  Part way through the Merge, the Left Studio Panel disappeared.  Once the merge was done,  I tried to re-open the panel, but there was no option to do that.  I then clicked on APPLY and the panel reappeared but it was empty, just as it was at the beginning.

Can't think what changed yesterday.

Thanks again for your support

Best wishes

Rod

left studio.jpg

25 minutes ago, Rod Corston said:

However, I've just tried that and attached image.  

The Studio setup is specific to each Persona and sometimes to each function. The Presets you want should be present after you've used File > New HDR Merge and Added the images, but before you click Apply. That's when you need to have the Left Studio showing. 

-- Walt
PC:

Hi @Rod Corston. To supplement what @walt.farrell is saying, the Presets panel you're looking for is only going to show up when you're in the Tone Mapping persona. Once you've loaded the images to be processed into the New HDR Merge… dialog and clicked the OK button, your images will be processed and you will see the merged photo open in the Tone Mapping persona. (Check out the persona icons at the top left of the window; the Tone Mapping icon will be selected.) This is where you should be seeing the Presets panel.

My suggestion is to check the Window menu. Make sure that the Presets choice (toward the bottom of the menu) has a check mark next to it. If it doesn't, simply choose Presets from the Window menu and (hopefully) that will solve your problem.

Also, remember that once you click the Apply button, you are leaving the Tone Mapping persona and going back to the Photo persona. No tone mapping presets can be found there, as they would not really serve any purpose inside that persona.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023); 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Glad you got this sorted out, @Rod Corston. If only all of our problems were so easily fixed!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023); 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• 3 months later...

"Hi @Amit M, 

The reset that @NotMyFaultmentions should get you the default category back, as would importing his aftonemap file.  To do a Reset, just start Affinity while holding down the Control key and you'll get a shown a Clear User Data window.  3 options will be ticked and you can untick those and then put a tick in the box for Reset Tone Mapping Presets and then click on Clear.  That should bring back the Default category.  Just make sure you've exported any of your own Tone Map Presets you've created, as the Reset would delete those. "