You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboard not transparent at export

Although I'm not sure whether this is a bug or I am plain stupid – I want to export an artboard with a transparent background and it does not work.

See images: Setting and Export as PNG – no transparent Background.

I am pretty sure this worked in AD before. Is it a bug or do I oversee the obvious?

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 12.25.17.png

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 12.25.38.png

2 minutes ago, Return said:

Is the background set to transparent in the menu>document setup>color?

Perfect, that did the trick. However – it is confusing to select the artboard and to be able to make it transparent when in fact I have to do it in the Document Setup, no?

I'd prefer the first – it is more intuitive than the Document Setup.

Thanks, solved, so far.

Just now, Return said:

You can workaround this by selecting the artboard itself and,
Export>selection only from the dropdown.

Thansk, but that doesn't work – the export needs to have exactly the size of the artboard, not the element. So I need the artboard taken into account at export.

2 minutes ago, Return said:

Select the artboard in the layerspanel.

Wow, you're right. Although this makes no sense to me – why does it work? 🙂 

Imagine taking away the Document Setup > Background transparent Thing, but being able to select the artboard and set it to transparent (as any other thing, too) - wouldn't that be much more straight forward?

2 minutes ago, abra100pro said:

Imagine taking away the Document Setup > Background transparent Thing, but being able to select the artboard and set it to transparent (as any other thing, too) - wouldn't that be much more straight forward?

Not all AD documents have artboards, so it's best to have a consistent setting for those that do and those that don't

Likewise for consistency between all the 3 Affinity apps

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.