You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to adjust vertices automatically?

Can you give some more detail about what you mean by “automatically adjust”?

If you can give one or more visual examples of what you have before the adjustment and what you want after the adjustment then that might help.

Also, what should be doing the adjustment “automatically” and when should it be doing it?

I have a feeling that you are asking about snapping, given your screen-grab, but I could be wrong, so a little clarification would be useful.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:33 AM, GarryP said:

Can you give some more detail about what you mean by “automatically adjust”?

If you can give one or more visual examples of what you have before the adjustment and what you want after the adjustment then that might help.

Also, what should be doing the adjustment “automatically” and when should it be doing it?

I have a feeling that you are asking about snapping, given your screen-grab, but I could be wrong, so a little clarification would be useful.

Hi! Sorry, my English is not very good and maybe I didn't explain myself well.
I mean that when it comes to bringing the vertices closer together, they do not join together magnetically.
Here I show you an example of what I want to achieve (it's Illustrator). 

Now on Affinity. As you can see, the corners (vertices) do not meet. What is the option for them to get together? I have tried everything but it is impossible
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

to join nodes, you need to use the node tool instead of the move tool. 

The move tool allows to snap certain key points, mostly the bounding box around that shape.

The node tool requires curves (not shapes, these need to be converted to curves before). You can snap curve nodes.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

There is a difference between joining, aka gluing permanantly together, Nodes (as NotMyFault told above) and just snapping (overlaying one above the other) nodes together here. For the later (snapping) that often works halfway good with a defined and used grid and then using "Snap to grid" & "Snap to baseline grid". - For really joining nodes together see NotMyFault's reply.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

21 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Hi,

to join nodes, you need to use the node tool instead of the move tool. 

The move tool allows to snap certain key points, mostly the bounding box around that shape.

The node tool requires curves (not shapes, these need to be converted to curves before). You can snap curve nodes.

Thanks so much for the help! It has been useful to me! :)

12 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

There is a difference between joining, aka gluing permanantly together, Nodes (as NotMyFault told above) and just snapping (overlaying one above the other) nodes together here. For the later (snapping) that often works halfway good with a defined and used grid and then using "Snap to grid" & "Snap to baseline grid". - For really joining nodes together see NotMyFault's reply.

Thank you so much! I'll keep it in mind! :)

11 hours ago, rfed10 said:

join together magnetically

An extremely valuable tool in Designer is Point Transform Tool. (As with all tools, look at the hint line at bottom of window for keyboard modifiers.)

The video below shows a shape being snapped to another shape, but it also works with Curve and Curves objects.