You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't turn off the baseline grid...

I have searched for the solution online but every solution revolves around finding the "Show Baseline Grid" option which is absent on my version of Affinty Designer 2.2.

I'm far from a Noob user but I cannot find a way to turn the baseline grid on/off.

I've had this issue for sometime but finally gave in and posted for support.

Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 11.50.23 AM.png

Hi @Kwami and welcome to the forums,

Baseline Grid is a feature of Affinity Publisher which is why you're not seeing the option to turn it off in Designer...

This suggests that the file originated as an Affinity Publisher file and you now have it open in Designer. Assuming you have Publisher installed you can use File > Edit in Publisher and then turn the Baseline grid off in the Baseline Grid - document panel...

BaselineGrid.png.4997f4e7dc29f14d93a281bd8ce2f4b9.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.0.2301 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0.2301 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0.2301
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8

That seems to be it. Not sure how I ended up with a copy of Designer and Publisher?

My next problem is I can't open my design file in Publisher because Designer is a higher version than Publisher. 

I'm trying to register my copy of Publisher, I have a paid version with keys and all but the app can't seem to open the browser and I can't find the URL. My copy of Designer is registered. 

Is there some way I can do this without multiple steps?

3 hours ago, Kwami said:

My next problem is I can't open my design file in Publisher because Designer is a higher version than Publisher. 

What is the version of each of them?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@Kwami,

If you're happy to upload your Designer file and let us know which version of Designer you're using someone on the forum can likely open it in the appropriate version of Publisher to switch off the Baseline Grid and then upload the resaved Designer file for you.

If that's not an option it would be a case of updating your version of Publisher to match that of Designer. If you don't currently own Publisher you should be able to download a 30-day trial version though you need to ensure it is the same version as Designer to avoid any compatibility issues.

Let us know either way and I'm sure we'll be able to help you...

Affinity Designer 2.4.0.2301 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0.2301 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0.2301

I have Designer 2.2.0

I downloaded my version of Publisher, which started fine.

Then I went to the settings and changed it to the light interface vs dark interface and now it just crashes on start up...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------
Translated Report (Full Report Below)
-------------------------------------

Process:               Affinity Publisher [68643]
Path:                  /Applications/Affinity Publisher.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity Publisher
Identifier:            com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher
Version:               1.10.6 (1.10.6)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2023-10-17 07:16:01.2542 -0400
OS Version:            macOS 14.0 (23A344)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     8.0 (21P365)

Time Awake Since Boot: 270000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       209 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 6 Abort trap: 6
Terminating Process:   Affinity Publisher [68643]

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

If you don't currently own Publisher you should be able to download a 30-day trial version though you need to ensure it is the same version as Designer to avoid any compatibility issues.

I guess I'll download the 30 day trial. I'm still not sure how I ended up using two apps...

1 hour ago, Kwami said:

Then I went to the settings and changed it to the light interface vs dark interface and now it just crashes on start up...

I believe this is a bug that has been previously reported, I was trying to find the thread where the bug was reported but couldn't...

Edit: Walt has located the bug report I was thinking off originally and posted it below...

1 hour ago, Kwami said:

I guess I'll download the 30 day trial. I'm still not sure how I ended up using two apps...

Did you at some point download the trial version for the Universal licence perhaps?

If you want to DM me your file I'd be happy to turn the Baseline Grid off for you and then delete the file but if you'd prefer not to that's no problem. If downloading the trial version of Publisher 2.2.0 perhaps stick with Dark Mode for the purposes of turning the Baseline Grid off, then resave your file and see if that fixes the issue for you.

1 hour ago, Kwami said:

I'll download the 30 day trial.

57 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I believe this is a bug that has been previously reported, I was trying to find the thread where the bug was reported but couldn't...

Note, the crash report refers to APub 1.10.6. – For this version the dark mode does not cause a crash.*

It may help to reset the app by clearing custom user data: Hold the CTRL-key pressed when launching the app + confirm to "Clear" in the appearing dialog window with the 3 preset options selected. If this doesn't help you might try also the last option "Reset Account Data", or just choose to select all.

Nevertheless, to deactivate the baseline grid in your V2 .afdesign file you need to use APub V2.

* EDIT: see Walt's the next post below (concerning macOS 14 Sonoma).

Edited by thomaso

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Note, the crash report refers to APub 1.10.6. – For this version the dark mode does not cause a crash.

It may help to reset the app by clearing custom user data: Hold the CTRL-key pressed when launching the app + confirm to "Clear" in the appearing dialog window with the 3 preset options selected. If this doesn't help

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

I managed to restart publisher by deleting the com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher.plist in the OSX preference folder. Didn't know about the CTRL key thing.

I tried copy and pasting the copy from Designer 2 to Publisher 1.1 but the copy became vectors and not editable.

If you want to DM me your file I'd be happy to turn the Baseline Grid off for you and then delete the file but if you'd prefer not to that's no problem. If downloading the trial version of Publisher 2.2.0 perhaps stick with Dark Mode for the purposes of turning the Baseline Grid off, then resave your file and see if that fixes the issue for you.

I might do that. I've created a number of different files with the baseline grid. But I'll probably send a single file as a test. 

I'm presuming if the baseline gird is turned off the copy becomes 'free floating' and doesn't stick to a baseline grid?

Just now, Kwami said:

I might do that. I've created a number of different files with the baseline grid. But I'll probably send a single file as a test. 

I'm presuming if the baseline gird is turned off the copy becomes 'free floating' and doesn't stick to a baseline grid?

That's no problem at all, feel free to DM a test file and I'll switch the Baseline Grid off for you, resave it and DM it back to you so you can make sure it gives you what you need. In the meantime, it would still likely be worth downloading the trial version of Publisher 2.2.0 which will give you a lot more flexibility...