You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer

Is there a way to export a large format banner say 16000mm x 2000mm into 16 panels 1000mm width using artboards without copying the image into each artboard?

I've tried but keep getting blank artboards.

Thanks

Edited by JevoUK

• Staff

Which format are you trying to export to, if this is for a printer to create a banner and you document is vector based you could export in a vector format such as SVG, EPS or PDF with smaller dimensions and the printer will then be able to increase the banners size when printing without any loss of quality.

We use PDFs for export our files contain vector & raster images, the banners are for a major supermarket. At the moment we are using illustrator where we can use multiple art boards without copying the image multiple times, the pdfs are then imported into another file that has the cutter and camera dots for the cutting machine, they are then saved as a PDF for the printer.

it’s probably not the most efficient way of doing things but it’s they way I’ve been shown. 🙂

2 hours ago, JevoUK said:

We use PDFs for export our files contain vector & raster images,

Even with raster images the workflow mentioned by @DWright should not be a problem for your printing service.

I got used to create exhibition/fair wall layouts or large format banners in scale 1:10 with a document resolution in scale, too. For instance, an image that should be printed with 200 dpi gets placed with an effective resolution of 2000 dpi. Then the print will happen in scale at 1000 % (instead of 100) and thus achieve the wanted result and quality.

So it is up to the printing service to split a one-page PDF into their required sub-formats and thus output each single sheet or banner including a desired bleed setting without loss. (Compare the print option "Tiled" in various apps even for prints on a rather simple office printer hardware). This "splitting" is a procedure that a print software for large-format printer hardware should be able to handle easily, similar to the common pre-press imposition options for book or brochure printing for example.

Though I understand your approach to circumvent this workflow requirements for output by creating a layout on multiple "pages" it appears this option does not work in Affinity and even the option to create + export separate slices appears not to work (or I just did not find the right setup yet in the Export Persona?, @DWright). Thus it requires your mentioned workaround (-> multiple copies of the layout, each of them clipped accordingly for every page) or, more reasonable, the mentioned output workflow. – If wanted, you also could manually place several vertical cutting marks in the bleed area of you 1-page layout to ensure that the wanted final sub-formats are visually indicated within the delivered PDF.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I've done some more testing and instead of creating multiple artboards I just created 1 that contained the artwork, then in the export persona I created slices and exported them as PDFs, that worked BUT when creating slices they only work in pixels and not any other measurement That is no good for me, I need to work in a specific measurement. now I did try putting guides in the document at the spacing I needed but once in the export persona you can't snap to them. We are getting there though.

It would be nice if we could create Slices in any measurement & be able to snap to guides.

@DWright

7 hours ago, thomaso said:

Even with raster images the workflow mentioned by @DWright should not be a problem for your printing service.

I got used to create exhibition/fair wall layouts or large format banners in scale 1:10 with a document resolution in scale, too. For instance, an image that should be printed with 200 dpi gets placed with an effective resolution of 2000 dpi. Then the print will happen in scale at 1000 % (instead of 100) and thus achieve the wanted result and quality.

So it is up to the printing service to split a one-page PDF into their required sub-formats and thus output each single sheet or banner including a desired bleed setting without loss. (Compare the print option "Tiled" in various apps even for prints on a rather simple office printer hardware). This "splitting" is a procedure that a print software for large-format printer hardware should be able to handle easily, similar to the common pre-press imposition options for book or brochure printing for example.

Though I understand your approach to circumvent this workflow requirements for output by creating a layout on multiple "pages" it appears this option does not work in Affinity and even the option to create + export separate slices appears not to work (or I just did not find the right setup yet in the Export Persona?, @DWright). Thus it requires your mentioned workaround (-> multiple copies of the layout, each of them clipped accordingly for every page) or, more reasonable, the mentioned output workflow. – If wanted, you also could manually place several vertical cutting marks in the bleed area of you 1-page layout to ensure that the wanted final sub-formats are visually indicated within the delivered PDF.

1 hour ago, JevoUK said:

then in the export persona I created slices (…)
(…)
It would be nice if we could create Slices in any measurement & be able to snap to guides.

Good catch, yesterday I failed with slices because I didn't have the Transform Panel open and only saw the grayed out option "Create Slice" ("… from currently selected object") in the bottom button or to drag-create a slice with vague drag-control of its size + position.

Like you I get only the unit "pixels" displayed in the Transform Panel of the Export Persona – but we can enter the wanted slice dimensions + position in a desired unit by typing the unit behind the value. For instance for slice width of 100 mm:

slicesinmm.thumb.jpg.ee83055daa2ab3450771b9e8edeee328.jpg

slicespdf.thumb.jpg.5b2ebb7555da6437574b1331cbfa7d3d.jpg

On 10/7/2023 at 12:03 AM, thomaso said:

Good catch, yesterday I failed with slices because I didn't have the Transform Panel open and only saw the grayed out option "Create Slice" ("… from currently selected object") in the bottom button or to drag-create a slice with vague drag-control of its size + position.

Like you I get only the unit "pixels" displayed in the Transform Panel of the Export Persona – but we can enter the wanted slice dimensions + position in a desired unit by typing the unit behind the value. For instance for slice width of 100 mm:

slicesinmm.thumb.jpg.ee83055daa2ab3450771b9e8edeee328.jpg

slicespdf.thumb.jpg.5b2ebb7555da6437574b1331cbfa7d3d.jpg

Oh I missed that, now if only the transform panel was a bit more intuitive.

I also got the guides working too by enabling snapping in the export persona.

At least I now know what I wanted to do can be done.

It would be helpful if the measurement could be set to what we want and also being able to duplicate slices.

2 hours ago, JevoUK said:

Oh I missed that, now if only the transform panel was a bit more intuitive.
(…)
It would be helpful if the measurement could be set to what we want and also being able to duplicate slices.

Value fields in Affinity accept various entries, not digits only and not only in the Transform panel. (you can use them for calculations, too: https://affinity.help/publisher2/English.lproj/pages/Workspace/expressions.html )

I agree, the limitation in the Transform Panel of the Export Persona to the unit "pixel" is not intuitive, especially for vector formats like PDF. To me it feels like a bug "by design". – Interestingly it appears to have been different some years ago, as the permanent unit "mm" in the screencast in this short thread shows: