You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Relighting Macro - FREE Download

smadell

I am attaching a macro category called “Seth’s Relighting.” The relighting macro lets you selectively darken and lighten areas of an image to add drama, create areas of interest which draw the viewer’s eye, and make up for flat lighting. It is free for anyone to download and enjoy. The category includes two macros – one for setting up a set of layers and a second which provides on-screen instructions.

RelightingBeforeAfter.thumb.jpg.4b3a98212c8057a4e1afadff87e05680.jpg

The macro sets up a series of adjustments, filters, and masks, all of which are enclosed within a Group. In that way, the effect can be turned on or off by quickly showing or hiding the Group. The various layers inside the group are numbered, indicating the best order in which to use them. There are on-screen instructions (the second macro) as well as a video attached to this post. (Feel free to download the video too, if you’d like.)

To summarize, the layers allow you to darken the overall photo with a Curves layer, then indicate areas that need highlighting. Both the amount of darkening and the amount of lightening are entirely customizable (and non-destructive). The color of the highlight is also editable.

The attached macro category should be imported into the Library panel, using the “hamburger menu” at the top right corner of the panel. The macros were created in Affinity Photo version 2 and, therefore, will not be compatible with version 1.

As with all of the macros that I have submitted over the years, please remember that I am one person working with one computer (and one iPad). I have tested the macros as extensively as I can, and have been using them in my own work for several months now. However, there is no way to have foreseen all possible scenarios that another user might encounter. I believe that the macros function well, although I cannot make any guarantees.

If you like the macro, please keep it and enjoy it. It is free to use in both personal and commercial work. All I ask in return is that you post a comment in the Forum (below this post) and let me know that you are using it and (hopefully) enjoying it. As you continue to get better and better in your editing skills, please try to “pay it forward” by contributing your expertise and your resources to others in the community.

Seth's Relighting.afmacros

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Thank you so much for this.🙂

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

Hope you enjoy it, @tzvi20. Your speed is impressive. The post has only been up for 2 minutes!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I have not actually tried it out yet but I am sure that it is great.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

Great, @footeg! I'm glad you like it. Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, @jos. Hope you enjoy them both!