You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changes in nesting groups between 1.10.6 and 2.X?

Intuos5

There has been a change to grouping masterpage content in Publisher 2.X that wasn't there in 1.10.6. I didn't find anything in the release notes for 2.0 releases on the forum, so I am not sure this change and behaviour is intentional.

Anyways, in 2.2.0, I cannot use the group command to group a masterpage layer with another object. I also cannot drag a masterpage layer in an existing group. I can however use hotkeys and move a masterpage layer inside an existing group.

This is 2.2.0:

This is 1.10.6:

I can group a masterpage layer with other objects, I cannot drag a masterpage layer inside an existing group, but I can use hotkeys to move a masterpage layer inside an existing group.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a new document
2. Create a masterpage with some objects
3. Create another page, master or document page (doesn't matter which)
4. Apply the masterpage to the new page from step 3.
5. Create a new object on the page from step 4.
6. Select the masterpage layer and the new object(s) and create a group (with Ctrl + G)
* Notice how the masterpage layer remains ungrouped
7. Try to drag and drop the masterpage layer inside the group
* Notice that this is not possible
8. Move the masterpage layer to the top of the document and use Layer > Arrange > Move inside
* Notice how the masterpage layer is now inside the group

- Compare these steps with 1.10.6 and notice how 1.10.6 allows you to select objects on the page and the masterpage layer and group them with Ctrl+G (step 6.), which 2.2.0 does not. 

This is on Windows 10.0.19045.

Expectation
My expectation is that I should be able to organise masterpage content in a left page group and right page group. That way, I can easily detach a master and delete the invisible page items (to prevent the shenanigans from topic below)

In case I apply a masterpage to another masterpage, I should be able to nest it inside a group — or Affinity should automatically group masterpage content for facing spreads on a left and right page basis. For the latter case, that would be a new feature and I wouldn't need to be able to group masterpages myself.

7 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

Compare these steps with 1.10.6 and notice how 1.10.6 allows you to select objects on the page and the masterpage layer and group them with Ctrl+G (step 6.), which 2.2.0 does not. 

To me, allowing that grouping would be the bug, which was probably fixed in V2.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

To me, allowing that grouping would be the bug, which was probably fixed in V2.

That's what I suspect as well.
Though I do see use in being able to group in left/ right pages even with nested masterpages. That way, you can ensure that the right page is always on top of the left, thus ensure numbered lists works as expected. Right now, the order of applying masterpages affects numbering, which took me over a day to figure out.

16 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

Right now, the order of applying masterpages affects numbering, which took me over a day to figure out.

This would be clearer if you rename frames in the master (like Footer left, Text left, Footer right, Text right)… 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.