You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New work - Our Lady of Brighthelmstone

Greggry P

New work - Our Lady of Brighthelmstone.

This was my recent submission for a call to artists put out by a new gallery opening in the city of Brighton & Hove - sadly rejected.

The theme was metamorphosis, so I painted the city morphed into a fabulous drag queen, in the style of an Uber-kitsch religious painting (taking “Our Lady of Guadeloupe” as my main inspiration - Brighthelmstone is the old name for the city of Brighton).

There are a total of 33 visual “easter eggs” contained within the picture, some architectural, some cultural. If any of you are familiar with the place, have fun spotting them!

(Created on Affinity Designer 2 for iPad)

Our Lady of Brighthelmstone ONLINE VERSION.jpg

23 minutes ago, Greggry P said:

The theme was metamorphosis, so I painted the city morphed into a fabulous drag queen, in the style of an Uber-kitsch religious painting (taking “Our Lady of Guadeloupe” as my main inspiration - Brighthelmstone is the old name for the city of Brighton).

Not understanding the above quoted statement, I think the creation was very well executed...I like it.

1 minute ago, BobMoyer said:

Thanks Bob. I appreciate it probably doesn’t make much sense if you’re not familiar with Brighton in the UK. I guess I meant that the city has been anthropomorphised into a human character. For example, her dress represents the beach (sequins are pebbles, the skirt represents the sea, and the belt is the ruins of a famous pier stranded off the coast). Her crown is the dome of the Brighton Pavilion, her halo is another landmark - the Hove bandstand. Her ice cream is identical to the helter skelter on the end of Brighton pier, the hem of her shroud are the promenade railings, etc. (As I say, there are 33 of these…)

That's really great. 

I definitely spotted a few 'easter eggs', particularly the unmistakable reference to the Duke of York's. Having now moved 'up North' I miss Brighton, especially the diversity and vibrant music scene (but obviously not the property prices!).

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1