You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rounded Corners Not Holding Up When Mirroring 4-Pointed-Shape in Version 2.1.1

Mr. Doodlezz

Greetings everyone!

I've stumbled upon an unusual bug in Version 2.1.1. Here's the situation: I'm designing a four-pointed star-like shape by utilizing the negative space between four adjacent circles with the Shape Builder Tool. After that, I used the Corner Tool to give those sharp points some smooth rounded edges. At first glance, it's perfect. But when I attempt to mirror these particular stars the rounded edges unexpectedly revert.

For context, I've mirrored other designs, like a random shape I created using the Pen Tool + Corner Tool, and they kept the rounded corners, like you'd expect. While I know there's the Star Tool for crafting similar stars, I firmly believe shapes like this created the shape builder tool should handle this as well. To be clear: I'd rather not bake or convert the rounded corners to nodes and keep them flexible/adaptable!

For those who prefer visual explanations, here's a short clip to illustrate the problem.

Maybe some of you might have faced and resolved this, or at least can confirm the bug? Any insights or solutions you can offer would be awesome!

Here's my sample file, if you'd like to try.

Corner_Tool_Bug.afdesign

Thanks!
Dennis

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

4 minutes ago, pruus said:

It seems that the corner tool does not work right. When copy and mirror the round corners disappear. By using the node-tool you can select all corners and make them round again. So this is a bug in the shape builder, corner. Definitely repeatable.

Thanks for confirming on your end!

While I agree that there is a bug here (the corner rounding should of course not vanish), I don't think it is a bug with the shape builder tool...

Try recreating your star shape using the regular Boolean tools, and you will see the same behaviour. Perhaps not surprising as the underlying calculations are probably the same.

Try drawing your star shape with the pen tool. You will now find that you can't even apply corner rounding!

The corner tool really doesn't like the incredibly fine points of the star that are formed when the control handles are perfectly aligned to the vertical (or horizontal). If you move one of the control handles very slightly away from the other (zoom in to 10,000% first so it is a microscopic movement), then corner behaves correctly when mirrored.

So I'd suggest that the issue is with the corner tool itself.

Here is a bug report I made 4½ years ago about a similar issue. Sadly v2.1 and v2.2 Beta both still exhibit the pencil sculpt bug.

Could one of the Affinity team please log both bugs for attention? Thanks.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

9 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

While I agree that there is a bug here (the corner rounding should of course not vanish), I don't think it is a bug with the shape builder tool...

Try recreating your star shape using the regular Boolean tools, and you will see the same behaviour. Perhaps not surprising as the underlying calculations are probably the same.

Try drawing your star shape with the pen tool. You will now find that you can't even apply corner rounding!

The corner tool really doesn't like the incredibly fine points of the star that are formed when the control handles are perfectly aligned to the vertical (or horizontal). If you move one of the control handles very slightly away from the other (zoom in to 10,000% first so it is a microscopic movement), then corner behaves correctly when mirrored.

So I'd suggest that the issue is with the corner tool itself.

You're absolutely right! I didn't mean to specifically point at the Shape Builder Tool – it was just my initial thought when testing.
I see now how the Corner Tool might be the main culprit given its behavior with other sharp points, so thanks for pointing it out. (No pun intended.)