You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustable Pasteboard, Please

Can we please implement a mechanism to adjust the huge amount of space acting as a pasteboard surrounding a document in Publisher? Right now, it's WAY too large for users used to InDesign or Quark to become accustomed to. An elegant solution would be to allow the user to set the size of that area. That way, your base of fans who began with AP will be happy, and the vast user base of Adobe and Quark products won't be offset when trialing your products. I have purchased V1 and just upgraded to V2, hoping this issue would have been resolved. I'd think that an easy fix would be allowing the user to determine the size of the pasteboard.

What is the disadvantage of a large pasteboard?

What would you expect to surround the document instead?

Sorry if these are daft questions... am no publishing expert.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Thank you for posting that thread. It killed the horse, reincarnated the horse, killed it again, and then beat it ad nauseam.

Bottom line - let the USER decide how much pasteboard they need. That way, ALL existing users aren't impacted. And all new users get a more familiar, less awkward working environment, depending upon where they are coming from.

22 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

What is the disadvantage of a large pasteboard?

What would you expect to surround the document instead?

Sorry if these are daft questions... am no publishing expert.

A user-definable size. When you are used to the industry-standards (Photoshop, InDesign, QuarkXPress, Illustrator) you are used to working in a much smaller pasteboard, so you aren't always ending up in no-man's land. I can see how some users might like the huge field. But most users I've spoken with in the industry find it off-putting and would prefer to work in a space they have more control over. So, I am asking simply if they can possibly make the size of the background/pasteboard user-definable.

1 hour ago, uburoibob said:

Thank you for posting that thread. It killed the horse, reincarnated the horse, killed it again, and then beat it ad nauseam.

It's usually a custom to make a post and provide as much info as possible hence the link.
Other user aren't reading every thread.
But then again you are a very experienced person and should have known this.

1 hour ago, Return said:

It's usually a custom to make a post and provide as much info as possible hence the link.
Other user aren't reading every thread.
But then again you are a very experienced person and should have known this.

I should have? Guess I am not THAT experienced here. I felt I gave as much info as needed in the feature request. But I was legitimately thanking you for including the link to the thread as it's good to see the others who would appreciate this feature, as well as the three people who didn't quite get why we'd need it. Hopefully they will be able to incorporate this fix at some point in the near future.