You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As I have in PS, can I create a selection and add a frame (Increase by adding a frame)

Hi @Olympus,

As @Catshill mentions, if the source drawing is a bitmap image then tracing with the pen tool or using an image tracing tool would quickly give you a vector version of your plane...

Image Tracing Option

Trace the image using something like https://vectorizer.ai

Download an SVG or PDF version of the traced file and Oprn In Affinity Designer (if you have it). Both the PDF and SVG versions gave me a series of curve layers with both black and white fills and the SVG gave me some additional grey fill layers where it has interpreted the anti-aliasing of the original raster file.

image.thumb.png.d0bf5caa3bc7d2353e4267927e61c7d6.png

Hide or delete the White and/or Grey fill layers so you're left with just the black fill layers and then In Designer, you can use the contour tool to increase the thickness of the line...

If you don't have Designer you can open the vectorised file in Photo, remove the inner curve (as shown in the second half of the screen recording in Designer) and then apply a stroke to the remaining line (which you would do using the context toolbar toward the top of the screen in Photo).

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

4 hours ago, Olympus said:

I want to make the black lines somewhat wider. I have selected them and may have added a 25% frame, but not sure.

I tried to fill but could not find how to select black.

For pixel content you could use the Flood Select Tool + Refine + menu Select -> Grow/Shrink + Flood Fill Tool. Like so:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks much to all the forum members who responded. This is a  great resource.

Thomaso provided the step-by-step that I was looking for. 

After using PS for decades, Affinity seems to be a bit challenging to this 77 year old man.

Thanks again.