You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher PDF export without things outside page

I have a PDF from my Book I made in Indesign (no Indesign anymore). That PDF has bleed and cutting marks. I just need the same 500 pages but without the cutting marks.

The PDF opens well in Publisher, page size set well, cutting marks outside the pages, but when I export it, the cutting marks are still there, despite not visible in the pdf, but opening it in Designer for example. And the Online Printer still sees them and includes them in the page size and everything gets placed wrong.

I tried eliminate all bleed settings and export without bleed and mark. The cutting marks are still there. 

How can I get this exported, without having to manually delete the marks on every of the 500 pages?

• Staff

Hi Thomahawk,

When you export the PDF from Affinity do you have include printer marks ticked in the export menu? If you do does disabling it solve this issue at all?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

all disabled, no bleed no printer marks. i even tried set document setting to 0 bleed on top of no bleed in pdf export setting. The marks are still there. Of course not visible in PDF view but when I open it in affinity, outside the canvas the marks are still there and the online printer shop takes the whole document size including marks.

I can confirm this issue for V1: a PDF with bleed & crop marks opened in APub will maintain both in another export even with export options no bleed / no cropmarks. Such a resulting second PDF opened in APub shows an extra Layer layer named "Trim" and contains the initial objects of the bleed area, and in their full size (not cropped to bleed width) plus an additional cropping mask in page size.

Attached the V1 layout .afpub + both resulting .pdf.  – Open the "outside bleed.pdf" in APub and export it without bleed/cropmarks.

v1105 outside bleed.afpub   v1105 outside bleed.pdf    v1105 pdf2 no bleed.pdf

The screenshot shows the second export opened in Apub: This should neither contain the layer "Trim" nor the pink object.

pdfexport2.jpg.c3e1f2bfccd796b5a2034fda9301044e.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Possible work round import the pdf then in document make the size less the four bleeds (LRTB) then set scale to anchor to page. Then export with no bleed, then open the export and resize the document to finish size scale rescale to page and set the bleed as required

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

Thanks. Well, all this still results in the same, a PDF with crop marks present outside the page.

I manually deleted the crop marks on the first couple pages. At least, after that the online printer did no longer set the page size and placement wrong, it seems it only takes the first page(s) as a basis.

But it is still unsettling that the PDF export does not actually respect the settings I made. I see this as a bug. 

59 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

work round import the pdf then in document make the size less

Doesn't prevent from the issue. Attached a V1 .afpub saved with history to reproduce the export in page sizes before / after.

v1105 outside bleed sized page.afpub

Their could be a workaround if APub would have an option to place (not open) multi-page PDF automatically with all pages. Then the "page box" option "Trim" seems to work to avoid the unwanted area on another export.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1