You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows Task Manager won't close any of the programs following a crash

Why is this?

Edited to add that I have an image that is locked, and can't be saved because I can't close Photo in task manager. Consequently I'm getting the "Can't Communicate" error because I can't close anything in Task Manager. Again, why is Task Manager non-functional? This isn't new. I've experienced it before.

I can't close Designer in Task manager, either. It's been showing in the Task Manager for an hour.

Win 11 x64 Photo v211

It might be useful to see what kind of crash initiated this problem. Did you get any crash reports or event viewer logs, Twolane?

Also, it might be useful to get a dump of the hung program. You should be able to expand its entry in Task Manager, then right-click on the middle entry and choose Create DMP File. Then save that file somewhere safe in case Serif wants to see it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Twolane said:

I can't close Designer in Task manager, either. It's been showing in the Task Manager for an hour.

I have experienced something similar (but clearly different error), implying inability to terminate Affinity processes expectedly (similarly as any other process showing in Task Manager). Whenever one of the Affinity version 2 apps crashes (in the meaning of becoming unresponsive), any other v2 app that were running simultaneously becomes unresponsive, as well. It appears as if I could kill the processes using Task Manager (the apps do close), but I cannot start again any of the apps (they just do not start properly), so clearly the processes are not properly terminated. The only way to have the apps functional again is to restart the computer.

Not all crashes are similar however, but I have experienced this multiple times, and only with version 2 apps (and as long as they have been available, already in beta stage). I have a feeling that the kinds of crashes that result in this kind of behavior often happen when an Affinity app runs in the background (not being the active app) -- when returning (making the app active again), it has become unresponsive by itself, without any obvious cause. This makes it difficult to debug the error as I have not been able reproduce it deliberately.

I am using Microsoft Store version apps.