You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't fill pieces of a placed svg file

I am a beginner with Designer, but I have noted a problem, for me. Maybe I am not doing something correctly.

When I make a new document, and place a plain svg from Inkscape, in all previous versions of Designer [v1881 and below] I can double click on the imported svg which opens a new window in which I can do color and style fills.

In version 1954- I cannot get to a window that allows any editing of the placed svg.

Mac OS 13.5, MacBook Pro M1 chip.

Please advise the proper terminology of allowing the editing of a placed svg is.

Edited by patricr
clarity

3 minutes ago, patricr said:

When I make a new document, and place a plain svg from Inkscape, in all previous versions of Designer [v1881 and below] I can double click on the imported svg which opens a new window in which I can do color and style fills.

In version 1954- I cannot get to a window that allows any editing of the placed svg.

Is the SVG place as Linked or Embedded?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi @patricr,

2 hours ago, patricr said:

I am a beginner with Designer, but I have noted a problem, for me. Maybe I am not doing something correctly.

You are doing everything correctly but unfortunately, there is a bug in 1954 reported here which means that clicking on Edit Document in the context toolbar isn't opening the file as it should.

This bug has been fixed internally with Serif and should appear in the next Beta release but the workaround for now is to click Edit Document and then go to File > New Document to open a New Blank Document. In doing so the Embedded document will also be opened in a New Tab where you can edit it as per normal.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

23 minutes ago, patricr said:

Thanks for the notification that is a bug. I tried the workaround you mentioned, and though a bit messy- it works.

No problem, glad it's working for you even if it means a bit of a messy workaround for now...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "[Mac] Dragging multiple documents into the app fails to show the document tab bar" (REF: PD-941) has been fixed by the developers in internal builds "2.2.0.1971 & 2.2.0.1986".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.