You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to switch keyboard commands for text only?

Is it possible to switch keyboard commands for text only? I have a feeling the answer is no  . . .

Is it possible to take Command +V for "Paste" and assign it to "Paste without Format" and vice-versa? Or is this a general action that applies to everything rather than being contextual? To me it is a more useable than the existing setup . . .

1 hour ago, kanihoncho said:

Is it possible to switch keyboard commands for text only? I have a feeling the answer is no  . . .

Is it possible to take Command +V for "Paste" and assign it to "Paste without Format" and vice-versa? Or is this a general action that applies to everything rather than being contextual? To me it is a more useable than the existing setup . . .

Hello @kanihoncho,

basically you can reassign different shortcuts to the commands 'Copy' and 'Paste'. I just tried in APub to make sure it works. Perhaps you have to play around a little to make sure it really works becaus CTRL+V is such a common command that it may be confusing to see it behaving different.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 hours ago, kanihoncho said:

Is it possible to take Command +V for "Paste" and assign it to "Paste without Format" and vice-versa?

Yes, you can easily do that. So for instance in AD set the first Shortcuts item to "Designer" & the second one to "Edit." You should see a long list of all the possible shortcuts on the Edit menu, arranged in the same order as in that menu:

shortcuts.jpg.3bbafbdbc519a1d0bf7fe5b0332cb693.jpg

So you can just swap out the shortcuts for those two items to whatever you want, & as long as they do not conflict with any other shortcuts (as indicated by a warning triangle) they should worj=k fine.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Yes, you can easily do that. So for instance in AD set the first Shortcuts item to "Designer" & the second one to "Edit." You should see a long list of all the possible shortcuts on the Edit menu, arranged in the same order as in that menu:

But the request was to make that change for text only

That's not possible.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that using Paste Without Format to paste a non-text object would cause any problems.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1