You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrong preview and output when printing

MacOS Ventura 13.5 … Affinity Publisher 2.1.1.

When I want to print a document as a book from Affinity 2, the pages are assembled incorrectly. The first page (right) should be on one sheet. Layout pages 2-7 each on one sheet and then the last (left) page should be printed as a single page again. Unfortunately, the software rearranges the order. This also happens if you choose the option "save as PDF" from the print menu. However, if you export the file using the "Export" function, everything is fine. Does anyone know a solution to print directly from Affinity correctly. For my large book project with many images, the way via the PDF export would be very inconvenient.

01 Pages.jpg

02 Print.jpg

03 Print from EXPORT PDF.jpg

PDF Export.pdf Print_Save as PDF.pdf

Hi @volo and welcome to the forums,

If you are printing an 8-page signature using a Book layout then the order shown in your first screen grab is correct. Why are you expecting the first and last pages to print their own individual sheets?

image.thumb.png.0e1f13f29d2601596e2602273436267f.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

I have to create the file because the printing of the book the inside pages must be created separately because the cover has a different format. The first page is a right page and the last page is a left page. In inDesign this was no problem with the past books.

Wenn Du für das Cover andere Abbmessungen benötigst kannst Du das in den Dokumenteneinstellungen machen.

image.png.f531e36bf90894a15d5b9e0a7f28de94.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the cover cannot be created in the document at the same time as the inside pages. The book has a spine and must be delivered separately for the print studio. The document must start with a right single page and end with a left single page.

Hi @volo,

My confusion is that, if I've understood correctly, you want to print the pages/spreads as per your second screen grab and PDF Export.pdf, i.e., in sequential page order. Is this simply to view the spreads individually as proofs rather than in the order they would appear when assembled as a book?

If that is the case then you could print using N-Up...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Right. I would like to print all pages in the correct order. Then I can better judge the sequence of images. All pages should be printed reduced to postcard size. So I can adjust the order faster. As an example a picture how I proceed with a book production. The pages were printed from InDesign. I wanted to try it with Affinity for the current project. I will try it tomorrow with your N-Up settings. The idea to send me your solution as a screen capture was great. Thank you very much.

Seitenaufbau.jpg

15 minutes ago, volo said:

I will try it tomorrow with your N-Up settings. The idea to send me your solution as a screen capture was great.

No problem, you'll likely need to adjust your Left and Top offsets to suit your page size and any scaling (if required). For demonstration purposes, the screen recording shows a 100 mm x 100 mm page size printed on A4.

15 hours ago, volo said:

print a document as a book

10 hours ago, volo said:

I would like to print all pages in the correct order.

If I understand right (your foto) you want to print spreads (Doppelseiten) in their layout (= the later bound) page order: page 1 | 2-3 | 4-5 | 6-7 | 8.

bookprintsamples.jpg.d44ab750f468c66710d9a0689664e704.jpg

If yes: therefore you don't need any special option, neither "book", "booklet" [both are meant to do imposition (Ausschießen) and thus change the page order] nor "n-up" – but simply print spreads in a certain scale. For instance:

printspreads1.thumb.jpg.ad45801e5dc31c37a3d5db015dcf41cd.jpg

printspreads2.thumb.jpg.90aa6740016ab16540fb27eb30b90dc0.jpg

If you don't want the single pages 1 and 8 centred but rather right / left arranged then you would need to print them separately and use the horizontal margin/offset option of "n-up".

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

With Hangman's solution, I get exactly what I need. After adjusting the settings for printing on A6, I get exactly what I need. Thank you for your efforts and quick service.

Thanks also to Thomaso. You have analyzed correctly but your solution does not fit. With Hangman's solution I can print all pages at once directly from Affinity Publisher. Separate printing of single pages is not necessary.

02 | Anwendung | N-up | A6.jpg

22 hours ago, Hangman said:

If that is the case then you could print using N-Up...

Great setup! I often was wondering about the "Skip" option, now it became obvious that this option affects the first printed sheet(s) only – while all other 7 options affect every print.

And I also noticed that "Fill last page" does not mean to increase a last single page on the sheet but rather repeats the layout page 1 again as right page on the sheet.

Unfortunately the Affinity Help explains only: "In the dialog, adjust settings as appropriate.😎

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1