You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2 crash when reopen file .afphoto and enter Develop Persona

Hi Affinity Support, I have a problem which is blocking my work. When I open a .dng file (of which I am attaching a low resolution example) generated by VueScan, I confirm the Develop operation (Output: RAW Layer (Embedded)) even without activating any modification, save the file in native format, reopen it and return to Develop Persona, the software goes crazy or crash depending on the Display setting (if "Software" is set the software goes crazy, if Metal then it crashes). I'm using Mac OS X 13.4.1 on 2019 iMac and Affinity Photo 2.1.1. I also tried on a different Mac with OS X 13.2.1 and Affinity Photo 2.0.4, the behavior is the same. Can you help me?

scan0020.dng

Hi @ruppolo and welcome to the forums,

I've not been able to replicate this, for me, your file opens, saves and re-opens without issue.

Are you able to make a screen recording showing the issue?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi @ruppolo,

Thanks for the screen recording...

I'm seeing the issue now with your file. This looks very much like a bug as it's not happening in version 1 even though I appreciate we don't have the option to output as a RAW Layer (Embedded) in V1 I don't think that matters as you're not doing anything to the file other than Developing and Saving it as a .afphoto file. Repeating in V1 and switching to the Develop persona shows your file correctly and without any distortion...

Hopefully, someone from the moderation team will look at this and log it as a bug.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Hi @ruppolo,

It looks as though there is something very odd going on with your file though I'm not entirely sure what... are you happy to upload the full res version so we can take a look?

If I remember correctly there have been issues reported previously with DNG files created by Vuescan. I would suggest having Vuescan produce TIFF files, instead.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, ruppolo said:

Hi @walt.farrell, thanks for the suggestion, but for mysterious reasons with the TIFF format the Develop Persona function doesn't allow you to select the "Output: RAW Layer (Embedded)" option, but only "Pixel Layer", thus not allowing non-destructive editing.

You can stil do non-destructive editing on a TIFF file; you just need to do it in different ways. But we would need to know more about what you're doing.

And the reasons aren't mysterious: TIFF is a standard Raster format, not a RAW format, so you can't use it to create a RAW layer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

TIFF is a standard Raster format, not a RAW format, so you can't use it to create a RAW layer.

Well for most RAW file formats, the TIFF format is the base (mother) of reinvention here.

Many raw file formats, including IIQ (Phase One), 3FR (Hasselblad), DCR, K25, KDC (Kodak), CRW CR2 CR3 (Canon), ERF (Epson), MEF (Mamiya), MOS (Leaf), NEF NRW (Nikon), ORF (Olympus), PEF (Pentax), RW2 (Panasonic) and ARW, SRF, SR2 (Sony), are based on TIFF, the Tagged Image File Format.[4] These files may deviate from the TIFF standard in a number of ways, including the use of a non-standard file header, the inclusion of additional image tags and the encryption of some of the tagged data.

DNG, the Adobe digital negative format, is an extension of the TIFF 6.0 format and is compatible with TIFF/EP, and uses various open formats and/or standards, including Exif metadata, XMP metadata, IPTC metadata, CIE XYZ coordinates, ICC profiles, and JPEG.[11]

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi @Lee_T, thanks, but in the meantime I can't stop my work, so (after several attempts) I found a work-around: open the dng file with the free Adobe DNG Converter app and convert it (actually no conversion takes place, but this step save the file in a DNG format so Affinity Photo doesn't crash).