You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Developing the ripple filter

Hi Affinity,

i've been experimenting with the ripple filter in AP v2. The ambition was to try to create waves in water, either linear from wind, or circular from when you drop an object into the water, but all I got was a "technical" looking ripple that looked quite unnatural.

It would be great if the filter could handle wavelength and direction/angle. Maybe it's there somewhere, but in that case I would be happy for some tips.

/Dennis

Adding a realistic-looking ripple to most things, especially on water, would necessitate being able to manipulate the lighting of the scene along with the material since you would, I assume, want the light to realistically reflect off different parts of the material after the ripple is added.

Look at a picture of a fairly flat water surface and then compare it with a rippled water surface to see the difference.

For instance, have a look at this image: https://pixabay.com/photos/drop-splash-impact-ripples-water-1759703/
Notice how the light is no longer reflected in a (vaguely) horizontal line across the scene as it would be without the ripple.

Also, if anything other than a flat colour (or simple gradient) was reflected in the water (or other reflective material), that reflection would also need to be manipulated, further adding to the difficulty.

Since the Affinity applications have no sense of a third dimension or have any idea about the lighting or the ‘2D-transform-equivalents’ of the relative 3D positions of the things in a photo, what you are asking for would probably be very difficult to achieve.

I  had a play at making a ripples macro which some have found useful. The ripples it creates are linear, not circular. Perhaps I might have a go a creating an elliptical ripples macro.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

For more realistic looking circular water ripple effects I would (re)use some Python code here instead, which then can also be animated accordingly.

RippleEffect1.gif

ripples.gif

And for performance reasons one can reuse instead also the C/C++ Ogre 3D SDK then for creating such effects (which offers bindings to/for many other prog languages).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2