You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer v2.1.1 crash when creating, modifying brush

Hi all,

Affinity Designer 2.1.1 for Windows (Windows 10) crashed after creating a new brush category, renaming a brush category, and adding or modifying a brush. After the action, a progress wheel appears. When continuing any drawing action, AD is no longer responsive. When you close AD with the "X" close button, a window appears, sending the problem info to Microsoft.

I included a 22-second long video showing you the problem and steps. In the video, it is only one of the steps (creating a new brush). The same is true for other actions inside the brush panel.

After the crash, when Affinity Designer is restarted, the new brush is added, and can be selected and used without any crash.

Does anybody know what causes this crash and how to prevent it?

Thank you so much for your help.

Chris

P.S.: I think this should be posted in the "Bugs" category. If so, please can somebody move this thread to the correct category? Thank you.

Edited by Bad_Wolf

Is hardware acceleration (OpenCL) disabled or enabled?

And what do the crash reports tell?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hello v_kyr,

Thank you for your reply and help. I turned off hardware acceleration, but it did not make any difference. Affinity Designer keeps crashing. I looked for crash reports for Affinity Designer, but there are none. Also, the dialog at the end of the video keeps running forever.

30 minutes ago, Bad_Wolf said:

Affinity Designer keeps crashing. I looked for crash reports for Affinity Designer, but there are none. Also, the dialog at the end of the video keeps running forever.

Then you have to look if the Windows 10 EventViewer possibly lists related ADe error & crash logs instead.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

19 minutes ago, Bad_Wolf said:

I included  the file in PNG format.

FYI: You could also right-click on the entry in the log, and save a .evtx file, and include that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

error_report.jpg.f207a39eb2bebf3ebdfc1404bfda6db6.jpg

And was there more info about the crash cause?

If that is a more sandboxed MSIX based installment (somehow it looks like that), you can try out instead a plain MSI installer based installment for Win.

Hi Walt and v_kyr,

Thank you both for your input. Regretfully, Affinity Designer crashed again when adding a CYMK color to my custom color pallet. There seems, again, no crash report. At this moment, the blue progress wheel is spinning. I will let the computer on until tomorrow morning and see what happens.

I understand that solving or even thinking about my problem, is difficult. Be assured that I do appreciate your efforts to help me.

Chris

1 minute ago, Bad_Wolf said:

At this moment, the blue progress wheel is spinning. I will let the computer on until tomorrow morning and see what happens.

You could get a dump:

1. Start Task Manager.
  2. Expand the entry for Affinity Designer 2.
  3. Right-click first line of the expanded entry (Affinity Designer 2, probably), and choose the option to create a dump file.
  4. This will create a .DMP file in your system Temp directory. Copy it from there to someplace else to keep it safe.
  5. It will be too big to upload, but Serif staff can provide a Dropbox upload link.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi

This look strangely familiar but with a different process. I have had a lot of issue recently with brush selection and editing that is causing crashes. I logged it here  If you get the time to have a look. Eventually I resorted to re-installing the apps and then clearing out all the brush sets. Only re-installing the sets I was using!. It worked but has started to occur again! ..including today. I am not sure whether it is to do with older brush sets and | or new functions added to 2.1 upwards.

In essence the selection of brushes or repeated selection can cause a crash!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1