You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flying Saucer Attack

awakenedbyowls

This was my Retro Sci-fi poster I was looking for fonts for - a Fan Art Tour Poster for the Pixies upcoming tour where they're going to play the last two full albums they released before splitting up in the early 90's

As someone who only saw three songs by them in their hey day because the gig got stopped half way through and who have only so far heard them play 3 songs in total from these albums despite seeing them live 4 times so far I'm totally stoked to be going to see them on the 20th at Paradiso

If you're a Pixies fan then you should spot a few song references to those two albums 

FLYING SAUCER ATTACK POSTER_1000.jpg

I like it, especially the UFOs, people and lighting/tractor-beam effects.
It certainly tells a story even though I don’t know the references.

I have a few questions/suggestions:
1. Have you tried putting the text and icons above the ‘snow’?
2. Is “For 3 Nights Only” really correct since they seem to playing 15 nights? (I realise it’s three nights per venue.)
3. Considering that many cities could have venues of the same name, would it be better to put the city name with the venue? (I know they’re at the bottom, sort of, but it might be nicer to be explicit.)
4. I’m not sure about the ‘gig list’ formatting; there’s something about it that doesn’t quite ‘sit right’ with me but I can’t say what exactly. Could it be done instead as a ‘wireframe map’ like in my attached crude example? (I know I’ve probably not got the cities in the right places.)
5. Have you thought about using some ‘paper cut-out shadows’ in the design? (Might not work because of the existing lighting.)

Feel free to ignore all of my comments though, it’s just me ‘wondering aloud’ how I might do different versions.

image.png.e72dd3f13c2c366344bea5560d8658ff.png

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I like it, especially the UFOs, people and lighting/tractor-beam effects.
It certainly tells a story even though I don’t know the references.

5. Have you thought about using some ‘paper cut-out shadows’ in the design? (Might not work because of the existing lighting.)

Cheers - appreciate the feedback and suggestions - I have paid a lot of consideration to the arrangement and I found this to be the best - I wanted to go for something quirky and humorous and 3 Nights Only had more impact that 15 Nights and it can be altered to display each venue

Most important thing is the design - I think shadows would make the design too messy - I've had to make this choice before to sacrifice realism a little for overall composition

I guess I'm not the most experienced illustrator but nonetheless I find keeping things simple is a good rule of thumb to go by - let the brushes do the work and don't add too many strokes

As it is I like the way the foreground is really bright like there is also a spaceship in front of them or just behind or above the viewpoint bearing some bright alien space craft light down on to them also - so in that respect it's better not to have shadows I think ?

It also isn't snow - the caricatures of the band are based on the video Velouria which is a slow motion shot of them jumping over some rocks at a quarry and initially I was going for sand and blue sky - but then I added these brush strokes and the design of that part was sealed - it's salt and the blue dots are some unspecific farm beast's eyeballs as per the cover of the album Trompe Le Monde

Yes it looks like something folk probably made with paper cut outs in the old days

They're also not "back" in the sense the band have reformed for this tour - they reformed in 2004 and have been touring and writing new 2.0 albums for some years now - the current line up also is minus Kim Deal who is featured on the poster and it will instead be Paz Lenchantin playing with them on this tour ( very talented and suitable replacement ) so it's also not factually correct in several different ways - it is more a piece of art than specifically an info-poster

I thought about adding something on there that said "Featuring new Kim Deal 2.0" or something like that too

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2023 at 9:06 PM, awakenedbyowls said:

If you're a Pixies fan then you should spot a few song references to those two albums

I saw them on a festival in 87. Well, not too much seeing after a few liters of Vodka-Lemon. Their concert was pretty cool (the other 4 or 5 times also). Thx for your poster, inspiration for seeing them again after so many years. 🙏

Edit: Amsterdam is already sold out. I was too late. What a pity.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

Just now, joe_l said:

I saw them on a festival in 87. Well, not too much seeing after a few liters of Vodka-Lemon. Their concert was pretty cool (the other 4 or 5 times also). Thx for your poster, inspiration for seeing them again after so many years. 🙏

Lucky you ! Where was that ?

I'm just reworking this design minus the poster into a square format with better UFOs

7 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Lucky you ! Where was that ?

Loreley, Germany at the Bizarre Festival. Not to sure if it was 87 right now. I have to look at the ticket at home, I am getting old resp. I am old. 🤦‍♂️

----------

11 minutes ago, joe_l said:

Loreley, Germany at the Bizarre Festival. Not to sure if it was 87 right now. I have to look at the ticket at home, I am getting old resp. I am old. 🤦‍♂️

1989?

1987 was very early for them I'm not sure they would have cracked the international scene by then as their first EP Come On Pilgrim didn't come out until September 1987

Pixies Concert Setlist at Bizarre Special on May 13, 1989 | setlist.fm

4 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

1989?

1987 was very early for them I'm not sure they would have cracked the international scene by then as their first EP Come On Pilgrim didn't come out until September 1987

Pixies Concert Setlist at Bizarre Special on May 13, 1989 | setlist.fm

This is the proof. I am old. 😭

----------