You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Software for Wacom et al.

I wish affinity could make a deal with hardware manufacturer like Wacom to make a hardware device that would be largely independent of irrelevant buggy os updates, and limitations. As a dedicated device, security would be less of an issue since there is little to be gained by hacking into a dedicated graphic device. This would help insure reliability, hardware and software conflicts and increased speed of execution.

It would also mean that it is wireless, not fettered to a pc or mac.

Bugs could be worked out resulting in a stable device with a reduced learning curve, that would remain stable for an extended period of time.

Major updates, might require purchase of a new device if new desirable features added, minor updates bug fixes free.

Summary of advantages:

• Fewer os updates minimize hardware/software conflicts
  • Less security may mean faster execution or ability to run on cheaper cpu.
  • Longer functional life meaning once learned there is not a continual learning curve.
  • Major update and new features require purchase new device
  • Wireless, unfettered to a remote computer, truely mobile.
  • Leaner os, no bloatware, ie without all the features not required by the graphic app

So basically the already existing Pen computer from Wacom with added Linux?
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-Wacom-MobileStudio-Pro
https://linuxwacom.github.io/  <- some general Wacom Linux driver information/support and not relevant to this discussion .

The missing ingredient would be Affinity on Linux.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

5 hours ago, Affinity Rat said:

Less security may mean faster execution or ability to run on cheaper cpu.

Not sure where you are getting this.  Many newer OSes are using "sandbox" techniques to help isolate applications from each other; while there is certainly technical merit in this, it is mostly a workaround for a design that has not stood the test of time.  Very high levels of security can be achieved using techniques that are *less* impactful on performance than the traditional ACL model, something which has been proven quite effectively in the form of the Capabilities security model introduced by systems such as KeyKOS (http://cap-lore.com/CapTheory/upenn/).  The cost of the CPU is not relevant.  A more targeted platform using embedded system techniques (which is what you are describing) could implement security appropriate to the application without any significant performance impact if it is done correctly.

• Longer functional life meaning once learned there is not a continual learning curve.
  • Major update and new features require purchase new device

The lack of a learning curve implies a lack of progress as well.  This stability in terms of not needing to adjust to new features and changes would come at the cost of the pace of development, and people are still begging for a lot of key features that are still missing from the products.  I don't think this will be a popular request.

Wireless, unfettered to a remote computer, truely mobile.

Already offered via the versions that run on an iPad.

2 hours ago, Affinity Rat said:

This appears to be using Wacom tablet  as a separate device on a Linux box, not a single device with built in os.

Not sure from whom you got that quote from? I was talking about this pen-computer called WacomMobileStudioPro from Wacom.
On this device you can install Linux with full support for the device from the Linux community.
This would be the closest you can get to your dream setting.

ah, I see,my bad.😊
The second link is just general Linux Wacom support.
For the Pen-computer its supported straight up in the Linux kernel so for that device the support goes much deeper into the OS and the second link is redundant.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

A more targeted platform using embedded system techniques (which is what you are describing) could implement security appropriate to the application without any significant performance impact if it is done correctly.

I agree, but is it being done? Not that I am aware of.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

The lack of a learning curve implies a lack of progress as well.

That could be, but it is common knowledge that marketing pushes pushes devs to make releases before they have been fine tuned, and use customer feedback to refine it. That approach may work for casual users but not professionals. Using buggy software  is frustrating for people making a living to have their work corrupted and time wasted. 
In general I wont buy any newly released software until its about 2 years old to let others debug it for me. Having said that I did purchase AFeaux 2, which may have more features than A Pho 1 (that I dont need) and a much worse interface.

Special effects and new features could be a separate app leaving a rock solid foundation untouched. Merging the output could be achieved by the Special effects app. While 2 apps not exactly desirable, the benefits would outweigh the inconvenience. I’m not familiar with new suite of Adobe products but in the past they had a bridge, which I believe was to allow a common interface between various products.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Already offered via the versions that run on an iPad.

Actually APho 1 on the iPad is quite good, but has serious file and memory management issues which I believe are related to Apples sandbox approach, which I believe are security related issues. Simple inability to share clipboard between AFeaux 2 and A Pho1 seems ridiculous. I see there is a Serif Labs app on my iPad, I had hopes that this may provide a bridge between the various Serif apps, but alas …sadly no.

52 minutes ago, myclay said:

For the Pen-computer its supported straight up in the Linux kernel so for that device the support goes much deeper into the OS and the second link is redundant.

Ok got it 🙂, yes this is more what I had in mind, but Windows is bloatware, tons of background services and constant upgrades and bug and security fixes resulting in software hardware conflicts. A simple reliable capable dedicated device is what I was suggesting.

I dont need one device that can do everything, a smart phone and a dedicated graphic device and I be happy.

32 minutes ago, Affinity Rat said:

but Windows is bloatware, tons of background services and constant upgrades and bug and security fixes resulting in software hardware conflicts.

Perhaps so. But Serif has already said they have no plans to offer Linux support.

There are users working on getting the Windows version of the Affinity apps to work on Linux, and they have had some limited success. But if you're hoping for Serif to create a version of the Affinity apps that runs on and is supported on a 4th OS, don't hold your breath.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

Hi Walt, no I didnt mention anything about Linux, all I was suggesting was a dedicated os, carve out the fat, ie to use FD101 description a “targeted platform using embedded techniques” to achieve a capable lean machine. I havent looked at Windows for years but in the past it was full of big fat dlls, I have no reason to believe this has changed, yes they are used dynamically but just create a huge footprint.
I’d rather a small dedicated device that did graphics well than a device that does everything that rapidly becomes a headache maintaining and keeping it running.

11 minutes ago, Affinity Rat said:

all I was suggesting was a dedicated os

My statement still stands. Serif probably won't implement for a 4th OS, which is what you're asking.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5