You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo v2 - Brush won't Duplicate

Hi,

I wonder if you can help with an Affinity Photo v2 issue I am having...

I am using Affinity Photo v2.1.0

I have been trying to amend a brush, then save it as a Duplicate, which I have done in v1 many times. But v2.1.0 won't duplicate the brushes that I create, so I can't save the new versions of the brushes. I am in an unsaved, new document. I am in the Edit Brush dialog box.

I can duplicate a brush if I am not in the Edit Brush dialog box, but then I can't make the changes I want to make to the brush. I attach the documents, also the screengrabs. 

i can reproduce it as it happens every time I make changes to a brush and try to save it as a Duplicate.

i am using Windows 11.
I am just using a mouse, no tablet.

What I do when it happens...

I select the brush in the Brushes panel
Right-click the one I want
Click Edit Brush
The Edit Brush dialog box is displayed
Then I make the changes to the brush, add a bitmap, edit the bitmap, turn off Sync Spacing and Sync Size, then when I try to Duplicate it, I find that it does not duplicate the brush and I have lost all the changes because I cannot save them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Del

Duplicate Brush Problem A Photo 2.1.0 screengrab.jpg

Settings Performance tab.jpg

Wood Brush screengrab.jpg

Affinity Photo Duplicating Brush Problem 02.afphoto Affinity Photo Duplicating Brush Problem.afphoto

42 minutes ago, DelN said:

Then I make the changes to the brush, add a bitmap, edit the bitmap, turn off Sync Spacing and Sync Size, then when I try to Duplicate it, I find that it does not duplicate the brush and I have lost all the changes because I cannot save them.

You could try Duplicating before you edit the brush. You'll find Duplicate on the right-click menu in the Brushes panel, too. Then Edit that duplicate.

I can duplicate from the Edit Brush dialog, though, so I'm not sure why you can't.

(I cannot duplicate from the More dialog (your first screenshot, with the title Brush - Selection) and I'm not sure why.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @DelN,

Thanks for your report!

I've tried replicating this here and similar to Walt, I'm unable to reproduce this currently. When selecting 'Duplicate' in the dialog, even after editing the brush and adding a Sub Brush, the brush is duplicated in the Brushes Studio as expected.

Just to confirm, are you expecting the Sub Brush that you have added to be duplicated, or the 'Master' brush in the brushes studio?

If possible, can you please provide a screen recording showing this behaviour, so that I can further investigate this here?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan C,

Thanks.

I'm just expecting the Master brush to be duplicated (not the sub brush). I've done it hundreds of times in Affinity Photo v1 and not had any problems. Created loads of Nature and Atmosphere brushes and uploaded them for other Affinity Photo users to use for free.

I'll see if I can do a screen recording and attach the brush file too...

Del