You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2.1 macOS App Names Changed?

Inside Capture One when I use "Open With" or "Edit With" I now see these names for the Affinity apps. They all have "Affinity Store" added to the end of the names. V2, prior to V2.1, they did not have "Affinity Store" in their names.

314057952_ScreenShot2023-05-23at6_19_52AM.png.950896a57e3a571cba96e38f5d3fb0e0.png

I looked inside each app's package folder. Their Info.plist names these executables and their MacOS folders have binaries by these names.

In /Applications/Affinity Designer 2/Contents/Info.plist

• <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
  • <string>Affinity Designer 2 Affinity Store</string>

In /Applications/Affinity Designer 2/Contents/MacOS/

• Affinity Designer 2 Affinity Store

In /Applications/Affinity Photo 2/Contents/Info.plist

• <string>Affinity Photo 2 Affinity Store</string>

In /Applications/Affinity Photo 2/Contents/MacOS/

• Affinity Photo 2 Affinity Store

In /Applications/Affinity Publisher 2/Contents/Info.plist

• <string>Affinity Publisher 2 Affinity Store</string>

In /Applications/Affinity Publisher 2/Contents/MacOS/

• Affinity Publisher 2 Affinity Store

I purchased the V2 bundle directly from the Serif Affinity store when it was announced.

Is this a change Serif has made to differentiate the direct sales binaries from the Mac App Store binaries?

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 6.19.52 AM.png

• Staff

Thanks for pointing this out.

We have recently automated one of our build processes, and we build for the Affinity Store and the Mac App Store from the same codebase. I think this was a consequence of that change, but I think it is a harmless change, and does help distinguish the 2 versions for us internally. I will check with the Devs if this is an accidental change, as I must admit I am not 100% sure.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

24 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have recently automated one of our build processes, and we build for the Affinity Store and the Mac App Store from the same codebase. I think this was a consequence of that change, but I think it is a harmless change, and does help distinguish the 2 versions for us internally. I will check with the Devs if this is an accidental change, as I must admit I am not 100% sure.

Perhaps this could also be an option for windows?
aka windows store vs affinity store vs msi versioning.
Meaning running different versions in beta makes it more distinct.

3 minutes ago, Return said:

Perhaps this could also be an option for windows?
aka windows store vs affinitytstore vs msi versioning.
Meaning running different versions in beta makes it more distinct.

Yes, that could be helpful.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 5/23/2023 at 8:22 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Another mac user also experienced this. They said the downloaded the full 2.1 suite again (vs using the in-app upgrade) and the apps were named as expected. I plan to try this myself.