You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to add a dimension line

Hi @JanSr and welcome to the forums (I saw you responded to a thread about this in another post)...

Currently this isn't possible, the measure tool does just that, it measures that but the measurements are not 'sticky', i.e., are not added as a layer to your artwork, if that is what you are looking for, though this feature has been widely requested so the hope is we may see this added in a future update.

Affinity Designer 2.5.5 | Affinity Photo 2.5.5 | Affinity Publisher 2.5.5
MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.6.1, Magic Mouse
HP ENVY x360, 8 GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U, Windows 10 Home, Logitech Mouse

I'm not sure if I correctly understand the topic, but could a screenruler be a workround? There are some small apps on the market that offer such an option. E.g. "PicPick" - even the free version (that also exists as portable app).

Edit: Of course, the screen ruler will not zoom and move with your image, because it's an external software.

14 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Hi @JanSr and welcome to the forums (I saw you responded to a thread about this in another post)...

Currently this isn't possible, the measure tool does just that, it measures that but the measurements are not 'sticky', i.e., are not added as a layer to your artwork, if that is what you are looking for, though this feature has been widely requested so the hope is we may see this added in a future update.

Well, this is an absolute show stopper for me.
The very first thing technicians do is create a sketch and put dimension lines around it. This counts for the building area, for mechanics, for... you name it.
I downloaded a 30 day trial version and I will dump it now after 30 minutes.
A pity, because I love the user interface...

Another workaround could possibly be to use Assets. Some time ago someone uploaded some Assets for measurements here on this forums to the Ressources section. Maybe you can find it there (or create your own). They can be simply dragged from the Assets panel, placed where and at what size you need it. And you can read the values in the "Transform" panel if the measure lines are selected.

6 hours ago, JanSr said:

The very first thing technicians do is create a sketch and put dimension lines around it.

Well, Affinity is no CAD application and thus lacks in various possible features that help for technical construction. – Your trial makes me curious: How did you get aware about Affinity if you have rather CAD or technical drawings in mind?

6 hours ago, iconoclast said:

Another workaround could possibly be to use Assets.

This is a simply solution, setup as constraints group for easier scaling of the entire width without scaling its single items.

Measure-Constraint.afassets

• The text needs to be typed manually, e.g. taken from the Transform panel.

• Its use is far from ideal respectively from 'normal' use of a measuring feature, it just delivers an easier set of arrows + text frame with the option to scale the width without scaling the strokes, the arrows or the font.

• Whereas if you drag the outer (bottom right) handle then just the total width + text size gets scaled, but again without scaling the arrow size and stroke width.

Measure-Constraint.jpg.b8a67a323c570433cdf1dcfc8091881d.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1