You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crazy good online vectorization

postmadesign

I just discovered this website that uses AI to trace images to vectors, and it is the best I have found so far. The quality, especially with low resolution images, is remarkable. It offers quite advanced options too. The upload has a max resolution, but this did not seem to affect the result in a negative way. The end result is very usable, with clean vectors.

I would love vector trace for Affinity, but with online tools as good as this, it makes me wonder if they should really put their resources into it. I still would prefer an offline option, even for a price, though...

Check it out: https://vectorizer.ai/

Here is a random image I scanned with the vectorized result:

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-05-10 om 08.48.32.png

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-05-10 om 08.48.20.png

Yup, I gave it a try today - and trust me, I am not easily impressed, ESPECIALLY when something has "AI" in name :D . But it is REALLY good. Even if you need to fix something by hand its really easy because the result is very clean. This is ai I can stand behind. Really helpful. Hope devs can take a look at it, just.. you know. As point of reference.

@postmadesign this is not going to be free for ever either. They clearly stated its free while in beta. In FAQ they say that beta fill end "Probably in in Q3 or Q4 of 2023". They didnt say what price it will have in the end.

For sure good tracing inside of Designer would be wonderful. Just now the bar has been raised significantly...

3 hours ago, nezumi said:

@postmadesignthis is not going to be free for ever either. They clearly stated its free while in beta. In FAQ they say that beta fill end "Probably in in Q3 or Q4 of 2023". They didnt say what price it will have in the end.

Yes, I found this out when I wanted to know more details. Of course this is a shame, but quite understandable. I just hope the pricing strategy will be decent and offers some flexibility. If I have to get a subscription (I hope not, but probably) the fee will decide if this service makes sense for me. Paying for a vectorization could be an option too, but it all depends on the price.

4 hours ago, nezumi said:

In FAQ they say that beta [will] end "Probably in in Q3 or Q4 of 2023". They didnt say what price it will have in the end.

They go further than that:

Pricing after the Beta ends?

We don't know yet. We are working on building the algorithm and website, and until we get considerably further along on those, especially the former, we won't know our costs and can't decide on pricing.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It's is always to be expected that all such services (AI based or not), sooner or later are monetized, as the whole work and effords are mostly done just in order to bring in back some money at the end and to fund future development.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

19 hours ago, Red Sands said:

Q: "15 years! That's a long time and sounds like hard work. Anyway, can we get the service for free?"

Of course I am willing to pay for a software or service if the price is right. If the pricing does not make economic sense to me though I will let it pass.

I just thought about it - they say they worked on it 15 years, right? Well, maybe they  worked on tracing software for 15 years, sure, but I seriously doubt that use of so called "AI" for it dates so far back. Recent boom of this technology allows people to jump on the bandwagon and I am almost sure that their ai version took lot less to achieve. I am not minimizing their achievement, but I would shave from this 15 years like... 14 :D

13 minutes ago, nezumi said:

Well, maybe they  worked on tracing software for 15 years, sure, but I seriously doubt that use of so called "AI" for it dates so far back.

I think it’s pretty clear that the “AI” aspect is a fairly recent development:

We've been working in this space for 15 years and adding AI has been a game changer.

Alfred spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Thicketworks said:

I think I just pushed this tool to its limit.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Thicketworks, and thanks for sharing. :)

25 minutes ago, Thicketworks said:

WOW.

Wow, indeed!

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Thicketworks said:

I think I just pushed this tool to its limit

In terms of color quantisation and detection yes, as the result contains in certain curve areas a bunch of wrong interpreted colors and shapes too. - For this example mostly all tools will fail in the one or other way, as it's initially a pretty bad quality of an image for vectorization.

Vector Magic:

vm_trace.jpg.a1d0f216de450d48167f0703f9356c03.jpg

SV:

sv_render.jpg.8d855dd3adaad32a9bb53c21ec498b1b.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

• 8 months later...
On 5/16/2023 at 1:00 PM, v_kyr said:

It's is always to be expected that all such services (AI based or not), sooner or later are monetized, as the whole work and effords are mostly done just in order to bring in back some money at the end and to fund future development.

See also related ...