You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 2: Symbols copied to New Document are not added to Symbols Panel

Hi, I have noticed that Symbols that are copied (copy and paste) from one document to another are not added to the Symbols Panel in the destination document.  They do still function as Symbols.

In contrast, a quick test shows that adding a Symbol from the Assets Panel adds the Symbol to the Symbols Panel immediately - at insert.

Is the copy and paste behaviour by design?  This behaviour can and has caused some confusion….

As a result of the copy and paste behaviour, the Symbols Panel does not provide a catalogue of definitions of the instances of Symbols in the Document.  Is there another panel that provides such a catalogue?

I prefer the Insert from Assets behaviour, but it compounds the potential for confusion.

Regards

Lionel

26 minutes ago, LionelD said:

As a result of the copy and paste behaviour, the Symbols Panel does not provide a catalogue of definitions of the instances of Symbols in the Document.  Is there another panel that provides such a catalogue?

No.

On the Desktop applications, pasting a Symbol from another document adds it to the Symbols panel immediately. If that's not happening on the iPad, it sounds like a bug. (But I can't check right now.)

In any case, with the newly pasted object selected, can't you just tap the Create button in the Symbols panel?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 hours ago, LionelD said:

Hi, I have noticed that Symbols that are copied (copy and paste) from one document to another are not added to the Symbols Panel in the destination document.  They do still function as Symbols.

In contrast, a quick test shows that adding a Symbol from the Assets Panel adds the Symbol to the Symbols Panel immediately - at insert.

Is the copy and paste behaviour by design?  This behaviour can and has caused some confusion….

I prefer the Insert from Assets behaviour, but it compounds the potential for confusion.

Regards

Lionel

As a workaround until it this feature is added to work the same as the desktop you should be able to create a custom template(s) that contained your symbols to open each time you create a new document.

Alternatively create a Symbols asset pack and add them to the symbols panel as you use them on a new document.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

@Paul Mudditt Well, thanks for your suggestion; you are always helpful and constructive.  I do have some Symbols in the Assets Panel, and that seems to work well.

I’m intrigued by this statement:  “Alternatively create a Symbols asset pack and add them to the symbols panel as you use them on a new document.”  The Assets Panel has Import and Export options, but I don’t see anything similar in the Symbols Panel.  How would I create a Symbols pack, and how would I add it to the Symbols Panel?

Regards and Thanks again.

Lionel

3 hours ago, LionelD said:

@Paul Mudditt Well, thanks for your suggestion; you are always helpful and constructive.  I do have some Symbols in the Assets Panel, and that seems to work well.

I’m intrigued by this statement:  “Alternatively create a Symbols asset pack and add them to the symbols panel as you use them on a new document.”  The Assets Panel has Import and Export options, but I don’t see anything similar in the Symbols Panel.  How would I create a Symbols pack, and how would I add it to the Symbols Panel?

Regards and Thanks again.

Lionel

Sorry, what I meant was create an asset pack specifically for your often used symbols, quick example. I created this ASSET PACK by creating my shapes, adding to Symbols then adding to an asset pack. Once in the asset pack they remain as symbols and appear in the symbols studio as well automatically.

EDIT: You already know all this of course, I was adding this comment for others who might look for a workaround.
I never use copy and paste between documents I always go via the assets panel as a replacement for the missing Edit in Photo, Edit in Designer options which works across iPad Affinity apps and even often allows transfers from V2 to V1 apps.

SYMBOLS PACK.afassets

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help