You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Preview Window - New Zoom Issue on MacOS

In v2.0.4 when using File > Export the default selection in the Export Window is the file format drop down box which remains the case when switching between file formats.

There is a known issue where Alt Mouse Scroll no longer allows you to zoom the image preview in the Export Window for the following file formats:

• PDF
  • PSD
  • SVG
  • EPS

But Cmd +/- does allow the preview to be zoomed for these four file formats as well as all other file formats.

In the latest Beta, v2.1.0.1769, when using File > Export the default selection no longer defaults to the file format drop down box but instead to the first editable numeric field for the respective file format, so for PNG, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, EXR, HDR, TGA, WEBP and JPEG XL this is the Width field and for PDF, SVG and EPS it is the Raster DPI field while for PSD there are no fields.

The impact of this is that with the exception of PSD you can't use the Cmd +/- keys to zoom the preview without first manually removing the focus from either the Width or Raster DPI field through the use of the Tab key which takes three tab presses for the raster file formats and a single tab press for the vector file formats.

Side Note: I'm aware that there is an overhaul taking place regarding Tab behaviour throughout the UI so hopefully this is also on the rader but the tab order in the Export window for raster based file formats currently includes the Link icon.

I see absolutely no benefit in the Link icon ever being part of the tab order because (as far as I'm aware) you have to manually mouse click it to lock/unlock it so it shouldn't be included in the tab order for any part of the UI that includes the option, e.g., it isn't included in the tab order in the Transform Panel.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

56 minutes ago, Hangman said:

The impact of this is that with the exception of PSD you can't use the Cmd +/- keys to zoom the preview without first manually removing the focus from either the Width or Raster DPI field through the use of the Tab key which takes three tab presses for the raster file formats and a single tab press for the vector file formats.

I see absolutely no benefit in the Link icon ever being part of the tab order because (as far as I'm aware) you have to manually mouse click it to lock/unlock it so it shouldn't be included in the tab order for any part of the UI that includes the option, e.g., it isn't included in the tab order in the Transform Panel.

FYI I believe the first issue (can't use Cmd+/- to zoom) has already been reported unless I'm misunderstanding your post.

I can't duplicate the problem of tabbing to the link icon - it works normally for me on Ventura.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

5 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

FYI I believe the first issue (can't use Cmd+/- to zoom) has already been reported unless I'm misunderstanding your post.

It has, I think I reported it... I only mentioned it again here because in the current Beta the behaviour is a regression when compared to the retail version i.e., you now have to take different steps to be able to use Cmd +/- at all...

12 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

can't duplicate the problem of tabbing to the link icon - it works normally for me on Ventura.

As in, when you tab, do you see W, H, Link Icon take focus?

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

1 minute ago, MikeTO said:

It just tabs from width to height and back to width as it should.

Interesting, on Monterey it is W, H, Link icon…

• Staff

Hi @Hangman

The expected behaviour for the Export preview window is that only Raster Formats should be zoomable. 

On 4/24/2023 at 12:26 PM, Hangman said:

you can't use the Cmd +/- keys to zoom the preview without first manually removing the focus from either the Width or Raster DPI field

The above is something we are aware of and it has been passed to the devs for investigation. 

On 4/24/2023 at 12:26 PM, Hangman said:

the tab order in the Export window for raster based file formats currently includes the Link icon.

I cannot replicate this in the latest beta, can you give this a retest when the next Beta build becomes available to you and let me know if it still occurs. 

I am currently Out of Office, please tag @Affinity Info Bot in your replies for another member of QA to see. 

How to format a bug report | List of V2 FAQ's | Affinity Photo (V2) Tutorials | Affinity Designer (V2) Tutorials | Affinity Publisher (V2) Tutorials

Hi @EmT,

27 minutes ago, EmT said:

The expected behaviour for the Export preview window is that only Raster Formats should be zoomable.

Even though Vector formats are zoomable using Cmd +/- in 2.0.4 and the current Beta or are you referring to Vector formats only being zoomable using the Cmd key rather than using Alt Mouse Scroll?

27 minutes ago, EmT said:

I cannot replicate this in the latest beta, can you give this a retest when the next Beta build becomes available to you and let me know if it still occurs. 

Happy to test in the next Beta release but in the current Beta the tab order for PNG files is W, H, Link Icon for all other Raster Foramts it is W, Link Icon, H.

Note: This is using Monterey 12.6.1.

V2.0.4 Yellow Circle | V2.1.0.1769 Magenta Square

• Staff
45 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Even though Vector formats are zoomable using Cmd +/- in 2.0.4 and the current Beta or are you referring to Vector formats only being zoomable using the Cmd key rather than using Alt Mouse Scroll?

To clarify, the Vector formats being zoomable at all in the export preview is a bug. 

In relation to the tabbing issue you're seeing. In MacOS Settings > Keyboard, do you have Keyboard navigation enabled? 

I am currently Out of Office, please tag @Affinity Info Bot in your replies for another member of QA to see. 

How to format a bug report | List of V2 FAQ's | Affinity Photo (V2) Tutorials | Affinity Designer (V2) Tutorials | Affinity Publisher (V2) Tutorials

2 minutes ago, EmT said:

To clarify, the Vector formats being zoomable at all in the export preview is a bug.

Despite being a bug, is there any logic for not allowing Vector previews to be zoomable?

7 minutes ago, EmT said:

In relation to the tabbing issue you're seeing. In MacOS Settings > Keyboard, do you have Keyboard navigation enabled? 

Not obviously...

Keyboard.thumb.jpg.ad00c7e221e7a3d12c2e2ef3a6fdf87a.jpg

• Staff

I have queried the reasoning behind this and will get back to you. 

On Monterey it should be under Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts

26 minutes ago, EmT said:

I have queried the reasoning behind this and will get back to you. 

Thanks, I'd certainly be interested to know as I can't think of any practical reason for Vector files not to be zoomable, more so because they currently are with no obvious detrimental effect.

30 minutes ago, EmT said:

On Monterey it should be under Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts

Perfect, disabling it fixes the issue thank you... :)

• Staff

@Hangman

Thanks for that, I've passed it over to the devs to see if the tabbing can be improved with Keyboard Navigation enabled. 
In regard to the query about why Vector files do not have zoomable preview. It's due to how the Vector previews are generated, it is quite a complex feature as vectors can draw differently dependent on their intended final use. It may be something that is implemented in a future version. 

Hi @EmT,

Okay, thanks for the clarification... :)

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "[MacOS] Tabbing Focus shows different behaviour in Export Preview with Keyboard Navigation enabled" (REF: AFB-7673) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.2.0 Release".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us