You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paragraph and Text styles change at random

Publisher V2 Windows 10

I am having issues which are driving me mad.

I have a magazine in progress and have issues with paragraph and text styles changing randomly.

If the title of the article is long and I don't want it all in my TOC I highlite the part that goes to the TOC and apply a style "Main title" Times New Roman Bold 14pt centre align. The next part on the line below is selected and style "sub title bold" this not to appear in TOC also Times New Roman Bold 14pt centre align. Then I have some "default" text Times New Roman Bold 12pt left align on the line below that that followed by style "by line" Times New Roman Bold 10pt centre align below that.

Here are the issues, Main title selected but the line below also changes, "by line" selected and part of the article also changes.

So I correct that "default" style, go back to the "main title" and it has changed "sub title" to "main title"

I correct the "main title" and it also changes "sub title" also "default" and "by line"

It just goes round and round.

I have gone back to my February magazine created in Pub V1 and that is ok.

I am going to have to cut and paste to a new pub in V1 as my deadline is approaching fast

Thanks for any help..

@walt.farrell

1 minute ago, John T said:

Here are the issues, Main title selected but the line below also changes, "by line" selected and part of the article also changes.

The TOC uses Paragraph Text Styles, and a Paragraph Text Style applies to an entire paragraph. It sounds like you're trying to change just part of the paragraph. You cannot do that with a Paragraph Text Style; the entire paragraph will change.

If it's working in V1, I suspect that you have a different paragraph structure. But without seeing a sample .afpub document that behaves differently in V1 and V2, it would be hard to say for sure what's happening.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The TOC uses Paragraph Text Styles, and a Paragraph Text Style applies to an entire paragraph. It sounds like you're trying to change just part of the paragraph. You cannot do that with a Paragraph Text Style; the entire paragraph will change.

Ok Walt thanks still do not understand how this worked in V1, I am now totally confused.

What is the best way to set the styles please?

style "Main title" Times New Roman Bold 14pt centre align,

"sub title bold"   Times New Roman Bold 14pt centre align,

"default" text Times New Roman Bold 12pt left align

and "by line" Times New Roman Bold 10pt centre align.

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Ok Walt thanks still do not understand how this worked in V1, I am now totally confused.

What is the best way to set the styles please?

style "Main title" Times New Roman Bold 14pt centre align,

"sub title bold"   Times New Roman Bold 14pt centre align,

"default" text Times New Roman Bold 12pt left align

and "by line" Times New Roman Bold 10pt centre align.

EDIT

It has just come to me while in the supermarket! TEXT STYLES, that is what I should be using.

The trouble is I only use AP every 3 months so with my lack of memory I forget stuff.

On 4/16/2023 at 8:39 AM, John T said:

It has just come to me while in the supermarket! TEXT STYLES, that is what I should be using.

You are using Text Styles. What you need to do is:

1. Use separate paragraphs for the lines of the title. E.g., at the beginning, you have 
      THE WEDDING DETECTIVES<line-break>
      Speakers: ...  <line-break>
      Family Roots ... <paragraph-break>

Those first two line-breaks should be paragraph breaks. Then: 

2. Each of those lines would be its own paragraph, and could have its own Paragraph Text Style. And at that point you could control which of them appeared in the TOC.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The majority of styles I have created are paragraph styles because I want them to apply until I hit return. I have set a base style that sets the font and based most of the others as children on this.

Where I want changes to appear within the line, I will use a character style. I don’t use these so often.

I have set a group style to manage these but I would not worry about these for now until you have got your head around the above and the workings of “based on”