You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are there any updates on automatic font activation for font manager applications, both Mac and Windows?

There were at least two threads in the past that I could find, now archived, but there was never a real answer from Serif/Affinity as to if and when this feature would finally be integrated.

The latest news is that FontBase has tried to contact Serif on several occasions (according to a thread in their forum), but has not received any response.

I would love to be able to use this super handy feature of Fontbase, or by now almost any other font manager out there, together with Affinity Suite, but nothing seems to have happened in this area for years.

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

1 hour ago, RNKLN said:

Don't know what the OP means with 'archived' but this topic is still available in the forum and can be replied to.

You are referring to the thread I came across. It's a thread about V1, which is most likely no longer in active development now that V2 is out.
Therefore the thread is in the »Feedback & Suggestions Feedback for the Affinity V1 products [ARCHIVE]« section.

image.png.949468c278e6cedba52f4bc86dc0cc49.png

It's archived in the sense that it's not closed, but because of the above I assume it's no longer active or moderated either.
I'm not sure if this is also a pointer, but there is no moderator monitoring this thread, at least openly visible.

I'm not a fan of duplicate threads, but I think it can't hurt to bring this topic back to the forefront and revive it for V2, as it hasn't been resolved yet (not that I know of).
There was no response from staff then (unless I missed something?), so perhaps someone can give us an update this time.

20 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Presumably it is dependent on plugins, which are not yet a thing (APhoto certain plugins excepted).

Most likely correct. In the thread mentioned by RNKLN, there is talk of it working magically for some Mac users. I was hoping for similar news for Windows users.

On 4/13/2023 at 9:32 PM, Mr. Doodlezz said:

There was no response from staff then (unless I missed something?), so perhaps someone can give us an update this time.

As a matter of principle, Serif does not respond to requests.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

22 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

As a matter of principle, Serif does not respond to requests.

Well, not to the community. (So as not to raise hopes, I suppose).

However, according to FontBase, they themselves tried to contact Serif, but didn't get a reply. I thought from one company to another there might be some mutual interests/benefits – but I guess not.

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2023 at 11:11 PM, Mr. Doodlezz said:

Are there any updates on automatic font activation for font manager applications, both Mac and Windows?

There were at least two threads in the past that I could find, now archived, but there was never a real answer from Serif/Affinity as to if and when this feature would finally be integrated.

The latest news is that FontBase has tried to contact Serif on several occasions (according to a thread in their forum), but has not received any response.

I would love to be able to use this super handy feature of Fontbase, or by now almost any other font manager out there, together with Affinity Suite, but nothing seems to have happened in this area for years.

I read that too on their Forum, because I do use Fontbase. It's up to Serif to get back to them now on that matter because it would be extra helpful to be able to have Font auto-activation working properly with Affinity Suite, specially if you're "Awesome" and take adantage of the full access to Google Fonts through them.

On 4/15/2023 at 12:15 PM, Mr. Doodlezz said:

However, according to FontBase, they themselves tried to contact Serif, but didn't get a reply. I thought from one company to another there might be some mutual interests/benefits – but I guess not.

Maybe Serif could make a 1st contact, would be in mutual benefit and Fontbase devs are willing and they know it already, could be a solution.

2 hours ago, Fcunhaster said:

Serif could make a 1st contact

The lack of official response or reaction (public/forum/anywhere as far as I can tell) on this subject over the past few years somehow suggests to me that this is not going to happen any time soon, more likely never. Unfortunately. 😔

But I'd go »Awesome« in a heartbeat aswell if Affinity compatibility were ever to be achieved – it's the last thing stopping me from upgrading/switching from my outdated Suitcase version to FontBase. 🤩

The "Awesome" has more advantages, but that would be precious for sure.

On 4/15/2023 at 12:15 PM, Mr. Doodlezz said:

2 hours ago, Mr. Doodlezz said:

The lack of official response or reaction (public/forum/anywhere as far as I can tell) on this subject over the past few years somehow suggests to me that this is not going to happen any time soon, more likely never. Unfortunately. 😔

But I'd go »Awesome« in a heartbeat aswell if Affinity compatibility were ever to be achieved – it's the last thing stopping me from upgrading/switching from my outdated Suitcase version to FontBase. 🤩

5 minutes ago, Fcunhaster said:

The "Awesome" has more advantages, but that would be precious for sure.

Yeah, I know – it’s the whole FontBase package in general in comparison to other apps.

• More OS compatibility compared to RightFont.
  • Affordable one time purchase compared to most other managers while still being able to sync over multiple devices via Dropbox
  • Search options like x-height

However, automatic font activation alone would be the last missing piece to make me switch. 😉