You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello there

Some days ago, my Affinity Photo's eraser tool started to act very strange were every time I try to erase something, I have to click several times to do so. It is like its opacity is set to 30 or so percent. But the opacity setting is at 100%.

I have tried with multiple brushes and making a different document, but the problem still persisted.

The dynamics settings are also turned off, so it isn't caused by penpressure.

EraserProblem.afphoto

• Staff

Hi @Neros,

Please untick Wet edges on the Context Toolbar with the Erase Brush Tool active and you should find the behaviour returns to as expected.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Also, please provide screenshots as .jpg or .png files, not in some other format. That way they will display inline in the forum. 

And it would be better to include the complete application window.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

35 minutes ago, Neros said:

... Just very strange since I never use that feature.. Heck, don't even what it does. Is there a hotkey I could have pressed accidently?

All that is needed is to use select a brush that has it turned on, then it remains turned on. The Watercolour brushes have it set.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

27 minutes ago, Neros said:

Is there a hotkey I could have pressed accidently?

It is set automatically by some brushes, and depending on your Assistant settings may be retained by other brushes and brush tools that you use.

It's important to recognize that the eraser is the Eraser Brush Tool, and therefore you should always go to the Brush panel and choose the brush you want, and check the brush settings in the Context Toolbar.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

@Old Bruce Wow, that sounds like a rather bad feature. Do you know of any other features I need to be aware of that just stays on when working with brushes?

@walt.farrell If there are features that remains turned on, it sounds more like I need to check the toolbar, then select a brush and then see what changes and what remains when I switch brushes XD

1 minute ago, Neros said:

If there are features that remains turned on, it sounds more like I need to check the toolbar, then select a brush and then see what changes and what remains when I switch brushes

The starting point isn't all that interesting, in my opinion. It's what you end up with. And it's not just the Context Toolbar.

For example, when you start a session with Affinity Photo, if you Open an image, then choose the Eraser Brush Tool, you could just start erasing. But you have no idea what brush preset is being used, because it's left-over from the last time you used Photo. You need to choose the brush preset that you want to be erasing with. And you need to check the Context Toolbar after that.

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, Red Sands said:

Whoa, that's really bad UI design. Serif will have to find a solution.

It is up to the designer of the brush preset. Some brush presets are designed to work well with Wet Edges set on. Some are designed to work well with it set off. For those situations, the brush preset designer can say "turn Wet Edges on" (if it's best that way) or "turn Wet Edges off" (if it's best that way). But some brushes will work well either way, and it may depend on what the user wants. To accomodate that case, Affinity also allows the brush preset designer to say "leave Wet Edges alone", and when the user chooses that preset the setting will not change from what it was before.

It is also influenced by the user's choice of Assistant settings, where the user can choose whether settings are shared between the different brush tools, and how they are shared.

-- Walt
PC: