You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

...open Photo with external program

Hi all, 

I am using "Faststone Image Viewer" as my Viewer and as kind of Catalog for all my photos. 

When you open a Photo in Faststone-IV you got the option to open the current photo for editing with an external Program.

Where can I find Affinity 2 to choose. It's not there, nowhere to find 😒

thank you and cheers

Ulli

• Staff

Or try the Application Alias AffinityPhoto2.exe that you get with the MSIX install as described here, that work for many applications 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

third party apps can't access Affinity Photo.

Perhaps not directly as it's sandboxed but the application alias is simple to use and does work for many

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

It's a strange shortcut technology made by Microsoft that results in a zero byte exe. Consequently some applications choke on the fact it has no size (even though it will run the application), so some users have found that it works and others say their DAM apps won't run/see the alias (which is kind of their bug). The unsandboxed version avoids this shortcoming and so many are using it with DAMs

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Another alternative to using the MSI: in many cases you could instead create a .bat file that invokes the AffinityPhoto2.exe application alias.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Interesting. So, if the OP has the Windows/.msix setup, your advice is to try the application alias and if that doesn't work, to install the .msi version. Right?

Yes, that's my advice. Walt's additional step also works for all, but requires a bit of batch file understanding 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

thank you mates, 

I will try to install the .msi version. I didn`t like this "msix" stuff anyway.

cheers and thanks

U.Ke.

PS: do I have to deregister from my notebook first, or can I reinstall without any glitches ?

2 minutes ago, U.Ke. said:

PS: do I have to deregister from my notebook first, or can I reinstall without any glitches ?

No, you don't need to deregister.

However, it's best to uninstall the MSIX version before installing the EXE/MSI version.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

thank you guys..

MSIX deinstalled, MSI installed ... I am so happy .. no more awkward shortcut setting and no more disability sending files from other applications into Affinity. 

Yes, I am a Windows user from the beginning and I am used to oldschool installations, besides that, I do not have any other msix installations as of yet. ... and I dont want any 

thanks again and cheers

U.Ke.