You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo images created by copy and 'New from clipboard - the need to then rasterise them

Bring an image into Affinity by copying it from somewhere and then use 'File/New from clipboard'... and before various things will work, it's necessary to also use 'Layers/Rasterise',

This bites people from time to time as they attempt to find out why e.g. moving the pixels in a marquee selection doesn't function.

When rasterised, in the layers panel, the label on the layer changes from 'Image' to 'Pixels' but as an alert as to why something might not be working this is a bit subtle. Would it be good if the new layer included an alert from the assistant as to whether the user would like to rasterise the layer on the spot - or indeed whether not being a rasterised layer isn't a feature at all but a bug?

Mark

• Staff

Hi @Mark_A,

This is by design, i've provided a screenshot below of an excerpt from the help notes, pasting as an image layer helps preserve the original content of the image, including the resolution and colour space.

image.png

https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/GetStarted/NewFromClipboard.html?title=New from clipboard

If an assistant option to auto rasterise image layers on paste is something you would like to see implemented, feel free to post over on the feature requests section. 🙂

10 hours ago, Mark_A said:

Would it be good if the new layer included an alert from the assistant as to whether the user would like to rasterise the layer on the spot...

Since I have learned how Image layers work & why they are different from Pixel layers, I would find an alert like that popping up annoying, so if it was implemented I hope it would include an option in preferences to disable it. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I hope it would include an option in preferences to disable it. 

Aren't all Assistant actions/operations configurable? So why shouldn't this destructive operation be configurable?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.