You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remember Snapping Toggle Setting Across Sessions

TonyO

Found a bug in the UI on iPad. From what i can gather, most UI settings are saved between sessions and when the app is closed and reopened. But I am noticing that after the app is restarted, the snapping settings are always turned on by default. And i have to turn them off on every file i open before i start working.

Is it possible to save the on/off state of the snapping icon in the top right across sessions so i don't have to toggle it off all the time? I don't remember having to do this in V1, which is why im submitting as a bug and not a feature request.

Thanks a million! You guys rock!

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

I am not seeing that, Tony. 

It is working differently from V1, where it seems Snapping is always Off when the application is started.

In V2, it seems that Snapping is always On when the application is started. However, if I turn it off then it is off for all subsequent files I work on. In other words, I only have to turn it off once until I stop and restart the application, not for every file.

I'm not sure why mine is working differently from yours.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The way you described it is exactly what I'm talking about. in V2 It's always on by default every time the app is started and i have to turn it off on every file I open every time I start a new session.

This doesn't happen on desktop, the snapping setting is remembered when the app is closed and re-opened. I'm asking for the selected setting to save across sessions so it doesn't need to be toggled off constantly. 

16 minutes ago, TonyO said:

and i have to turn it off on every file I open every time I start a new session.

I only have to turn it off once per session, not on every file.

Perhaps we're saying the same thing :)

I don't know why V2 acts differently, but one of the Serif Staff will have to comment on what is intended, and whether V2 should have changed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes! Can do! See attached. This is a single instance, but will happen on my iPad every time the app is restarted. I did it 4 times before recording this video just to make sure it wasn't user error. 

Also, I'm on a 2018 iPad pro, Designer tends to close in the background often due to the older model's memory limitations (normal behavior, all apps do this), this might not happen on the newer M1 models where the app would tend to stay open longer in the background for fast switching.

The windshield wiper icon is a bit intermittent. In this video it stayed on between sessions, but i just tried another test and it turned itself off between sessions, it's a bit less predictable. But snapping aways turns itself back on when the app is reopened, for me at least - and since i never use snapping, it's kind of a personal nuisance, haha.