You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hex Value Field in HSL Slider Colour Panel

Both the ‘Colour Wheel’ view and the ‘HSL Sliders’ view are HSL, so it does seem a little inconsistent to have a hex code in one place but not the other! Meanwhile, perhaps you could use the wheel as your standard view, switching to the sliders when you need numerical precision.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

36 minutes ago, Checkmate said:

I've tried the colour wheel but I've never got on with it. It's sliders all the way for me!

Fair enough!! I find it quite natural to treat the ring as a Hue slider, with the three vertices of the triangle being maximum Saturation and minimum/maximum Lightness (black/white) but I can see that it might not suit everyone.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

20 hours ago, Alfred said:

Fair enough!! I find it quite natural to treat the ring as a Hue slider, with the three vertices of the triangle being maximum Saturation and minimum/maximum Lightness (black/white) but I can see that it might not suit everyone.

I frequently use the wheel, but the rotation of its central triangle is annoying and I wonder if any user benefits from that rotation.

My workflow often involves grabbing a hex code from a website, then working to create different shades that work with it. I find that adjusting 1 or 2 of the HSL sliders will ensure any new colours still work with the original. The most common action for me is to simply adjust the lightness up or down, so i want that granular control.

• 10 months later...

This bothers me so much. I use HSL 90% of the time, the remaining 10% is me switching to RGB Hex so I can copy/paste the hex value. So annoying. Hex value should be available in all color selection views.

What could be even better, is if it also had a smaaall "Copy" and "Paste" buttons next to it, so you could copy/paste hex values in one click.