You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EULA clarification regarding use of personal license in company

Hello, I've been asked by employee in my company about legality of use of Affinity purchased privately. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor have I studied law.

Employee would like to use Affinity on company computer for commercial use on one of our products. Computers are company owned, however, the employee in question would be the only one making use of the software - thus I think it wouldn't be in violation of Your Rights and Permitted Use p.3 (i).

Commercial use is permitted but only use by you and not by any other users of any Windows Computers that you own or control.

License wouldn't be transferred to company either, the employee would remain sole licensee. The phrasing "Windows Computers that you own or control" seem ambiguous to me, because as company's property the computer isn't in employee's full control but rather is its operator. Computer is in domain environment, and other people are potentially able to violate this paragraph. We can make sure this doesn't happen however.

There's also point 4.b that prohibits:

rent, lend, lease, sell, supply, transfer or distribute, transfer, redistribute or sublicense

I'm not sure about the legal meaning of it, but does such practice constitute supplying the company with a license?

Local laws permit such practices to the best of my knowledge, there's some shenanigans on financial side, but that's beside the topic.

TL;DR: Is employee permitted to use Affinity purchased with individual license while doing commercial work for company that's hired him?

Edited by bananshar
accidental deletion before posting

16 minutes ago, bananshar said:

TL;DR: Is employee permitted to use Affinity purchased with individual license while doing commercial work for company that's hired him?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

On a computer owned by the user, certainly. (But note that I'm not a Serif staff member, nor a lawyer either :) )

As you've noted, the gray area is whether the employee is allowed to install their personally-owned license on your computer. I've never seen a definitive answer. My guess would be that if the company specifically gives the employee permission to install it on a company computer, that's enough "control" to satisfy the "or control" part of that EULA term. 

Maybe someone from Serif will be able to comment. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

My guess would be that if the company specifically gives the employee permission to install it on a company computer, that's enough "control" to satisfy the "or control" part of that EULA term.

My guess would be that the company (rather than the employee) would still have “control” of the computer. I don’t see how the app could be used for company business unless the company purchases its own licence.

I believe the “or control” part of the EULA is there to cover the scenario where the company’s computers are leased instead of being owned outright.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

From my understanding and confirming which a couple more staff members in the office is that @walt.farrell interpretation is correct/valid. If the company gives an employee permission for that employee to install software on a company computer. This satisfies the "control" part of the EULA.