You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When i try to crop to a specific size, let's say 20x30" AP doesn't seem to do a true crop to size, as with PS!, the tool is moving all over the pace changing the dimensions. I find myself going back to PS and cropping to size. Maybe you can do in AP, but appears very confusing, unless I'm missing something?

when you set the crop tool to crop at a given size, it sets the marquee to match the specified size, given the dpi setting for the image.

you can move the rectangle around to select the area you want to crop.

the crop tool, however, allows you to drag the handles to change its size: it's obvious that if you change the rectangle size, you are changing the print size accordingly.

take care,

stefano

I'm not sure I follow you, there doesn't appear to be  setting for DPI? There is nothing under the search field for crop.

Again all I want to do is set the crop to size. IN PS I simply set the dimension, the grid pops up and shows me the actual crop, via the setting. Doesn't appear simplicity was implemented in this area.

the dpi setting can be changed in the document resize dialog. the crop tool dos not offer this option.

to crop at specified dimensions:

- select the crop tool

- from the context options that are shown above the image, select "absolute dimensions" and optionally the units

- enter the dimensions in the two fields

the rectangular marquee is set to the desired size; if the size is not in pixels, it should take in account the dpi setting of the image.

move the marquee as desired.

if you drag the handles, you change its size.

take care,

stefano

That part I already figured out, but as you stated when you drag the corners of the crop tool, it will change the size of the actual dimensions, defeating the purpose and making it useless. Again, when I plug dimensions into PS's crop tool I am seeing the "actual" crop perspective, the dpi and the image size is irrelevant and I do not have to readjust the corners, the crop tool fixed fixed to the size as it should be. I suggest setting the crop size in PS and the crop size in AP, then tell me which one makes sense.

Forgive me, but I'm not following the problem.  You set your crop size to absolute value, put in your pixel dimensions on the crop tool context menu, and you get a grid of that size that you move.  And then apply when ready. Granted the resize handles are still available to allow you to change your mind without starting over.  But if you have set your dimensions, I cannot understand why are you resizing the dimensions if you don't want it to change?  Or why is it a problem.  If you are happy with those absolute dimensions, don't adjust them.  Unless you are talking about something else?

Not sure how something so simple has turned into something so complicated. but give it a shot.

For those of us that print, you want to see what a paticular dimension, let's say 11x14 looks, you may end up cropping something out, that is why is in PS it is so easy to set the of the crop grid to let's say 11x14 and you "see" a grid sized to 11x14. AP throws up a grid that goes all over the place forgetting to display the rule of 3rds, so I'm told to drag the corners which then changes the crop size. Seems AP over engineered this! Maybe AP does have this capability, just not implemented well.

That part I already figured out, but as you stated when you drag the corners of the crop tool, it will change the size of the actual dimensions, defeating the purpose and making it useless.

So don't drag the corners, drag the entire crop box to place it wherever you want within the image. Do that by moving the pointer over the grid, where it will turn into a four way arrow, indicating clicking & dragging will move the crop box, not change its size.

Tip: As a quick reference you can refer to the text in the Status bar at the bottom of the document window. Like with the other tools, it briefly describes the available options. For this tool the U.S. English language version text is "Drag handles to set crop size. Drag inside to move crop. Drag outside to rotate canvas. [O] to cycle overlay. ⇧+[O] to cycle orientation."

EDIT: I don't know what you meant about "AP throws up a grid that goes all over the place forgetting to display the rule of 3rds." The overlay option in the contextual menu bar allows you to display the thirds grid (among others), as does using the O key shortcut.

Edited by R C-R

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes I have been using absolute dimensions and the grid will appear 5-6x larger then the image. Which is why the previous post wont work. When the grid is several times larger then the image, it become futile. In PS no mater what size my image appears i.e., 40-60%, the sized crop grid, shows proportional. 

I am no expert, but I believe it is true that the crop tool in Affinity Photo will not go beyond the canvas size. 

But I did attach two examples where I started with a document print size, placed by image within that, and then set a custom ratio in the crop tool and set it outside the limits of the original photo.

The next example is using the resize canvas function, and then using the crop tool with a custom ratio setting.

Yea I'm not sure i'm not putting my images on a canvas, all I want is  a nice simple aspect crop tool  to appear  the it has for the past 10+ years in PS and in Capture One!

No matter what the image size is, no matter what the DPI is, the crop aspect ratio is always the consistent. There is obviously a development shortcoming with AP in this regards, This should be fundamental.

Here is a sample of the grid exceeding the size of the image.

That is because the absolute dimensions you have chosen are larger than the image itself; in other words, that there are not enough pixels in the image to fill a 20" by 16" print. Affinity interprets "Absolute Dimensions" literally, so it is just showing you that with those dimensions there would be empty sections in the print.

The app makes no assumptions about what you want to do about that, so it is up to you to decide if you want to resample the image to increase the pixel count, enlarge the canvas & use the clone stamp tool to fill in the empty space, or what.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yea I'm not sure i'm not putting my images on a canvas, all I want is  a nice simple aspect crop tool  to appear  the it has for the past 10+ years in PS and in Capture One!

No matter what the image size is, no matter what the DPI is, the crop aspect ratio is always the consistent.

If you choose any of the constant aspect ratios in Affinity, that is what it will do too, but if you choose Absolute Dimensions you are setting the ratio by entering the absolute height & width dimensions.

Affinity Photo 

Yes you are correct, which means the crop tool should be ABSOLUTE! I'm seeing there is a work around, however please understand this is a shortcoming in the development! RAW processors PS, non of them, make it this complex. The developers need to look at this and fix it . Should not take a 20 thread forum for something so basic! 

I also find the AP crop tool a bit frustrating. That is because I am used to the PS tool which will crop and resample in one step (eg, I can put in dimensions and dpi in the top bar of the PS tool). I agree that some improvements would be welcome.

The best way I've found to use the AP "Absolute" setting is to use pixels and to drag the box without touching the handles. With linear dimensions (inches, mm, etc) the dpi of the document comes into play, and that can't be changed via the crop tool. If you want a constrained ratio that can be resized as well as moved around, then it is better to use the "Ratio" setting.

I also find the AP crop tool a bit frustrating. That is because I am used to the PS tool which will crop and resample in one step (eg, I can put in dimensions and dpi in the top bar of the PS tool).

Personally, I find PS type tools for things like this frustrating because I want control over resampling separate from cropping. I certainly don't want to discover later that automatic resampling has altered the image in some way I did not ask for or approve of, or have to go back & redo it the way I want instead of leaving it to some algorithm that limits my creative freedom.

Affinity Photo