You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Several problems in Designer on Windows

Just begun testing V2.1. These problems apply to Designer on WIndows 10.

Keyboard shortcuts only work sometimes -- can't work out what turns it on/off, if anything

Shift+  works on main keyboard and numeric kb, but Shift- only works on main kb

Pen tool defaults to Vector brush and doesn't allow stroke properties to be changed -- need to select any other tool first

Same here on Win10 with current beta.
Most of the time none of the usual keyboard shortcuts for the layer panel work. Even "delete" for a layer shows no effect.

What I've found:
Clicking on an objects/layers name to rename it, triggers the problem. The shortcuts get active again as soon as the name field isn't active anymore and you switch to another tool or create a new object. Creating new pixel layer doesn't help.

Same issue in AP.

1 minute ago, maxen said:

Clicking on an objects/layers name to rename it, triggers the problem. The shortcuts get active again as soon as the name field isn't active anymore and you switch to another tool or create a new object. Creating new pixel layer doesn't help.

OK, thanks maxen -- that will make life a bit easier for me.

• Staff
On 2/17/2023 at 11:29 AM, Kasper-V said:

Keyboard shortcuts only work sometimes -- can't work out what turns it on/off, if anything

This is something we do have logged, but if you find any other reproducible ways to get it in this state, please do let us know!

Shift+  works on main keyboard and numeric kb, but Shift- only works on main kb

This is a strange one. The shortcut for both of these are Shift+= which gives you + and Shift+- which is actually _ so I believe what is happening is the software is looking for + and _ key codes. What doesn't make sense though is why the NumKey + on its own doesn't work and Shift+NumKey + does.

I'll pass it on to see if anything can be done!

Pen tool defaults to Vector brush and doesn't allow stroke properties to be changed -- need to select any other tool first

I'm not seeing that here - selecting the Pen Tool (via the P key or the Tool icon) selects the Pen Tool and stroke properties can be changed after creating a curve. Are you able to provide a receipe you're using to reproduce this?

The ShortcutKey problem seems to be fixed in the recent update. Only slight issue remaining: When the layer rename field is active, it doesn't get deactivated when you select a different layer. So you have to end the rename action by pressing return or escape. But I can live with that.

I've found that this problem still exist in Beta 2.1.0.1709 in Photo and Designer. Probably it is connected or similar to problem with focus which stays in recent opened dropdown fields. The result is that all shortcuts are not functioning. Here is a thread about this:

When you try to rename a layer or just click on its name but without renaming it in the end, and then selecting other layer, the highlighted field is still active, focus stays there and shortcuts don't work. When you deselect layer by clicking on an empty space in a layer panel, the highlighted field disappear but focus is still on that field and non of the shortcuts work either.

Desktop 1: i7 2600k @4,3 GHz, RTX 4070 12GB, 16GB Ram, SSD + HDD, Win10 Pro 22H2, Wacom Bamboo
Desktop 2: i7 3770k @4,2 GHz, RTX 2060s 8GB, 16GB Ram, SSD + HDD, Win10 Home 22H2, Wacom Intuos 4

Latest Affinity V2 + Affinity V2 Beta