You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Erratic Ellipse shape with outer stroke and small radius

NotMyFault

Hi,

1. new document, sRGB, small size
  2. activate dual view pixel / vector
  3. add ellipse shape (circle), radius 4px, no fill, black stroke, align outside
  4. reduce radius below 4px
  5. play with join type

expected: get a nice circle of given radius px 

observed: rendering gets erratic. The circle is probably based on 4 nodes, which can’t handle tight radius

2nd bug:

transform panel allows negative input which gets interpreted as positive numbers

22F7696A-A61E-4606-91EB-02B9F53A441C.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Struggling to replicate this, you say radius of 4 pixels but you actually have stroke/line width set to 4 pixels? Is it sensible to have a circle size less than the line width?

Anyway seems same as V1 and with line width larger than circle radius seems to be a minor maths/drawing artefact only to me perhaps?.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

7 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

you say radius of 4 pixels but you actually have stroke/line width set to 4 pixels?

Yes, start with both set to 4px.

Then, reduce radius (not stroke width) of circle to trigger issue.

7 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Is it sensible to have a circle size less than the line radius?

Why not? Affinity should document such restrictions, or filter input in cases it is not valid.

i know of course you could make a larger donut shape and use fill instead of stroke. But you may want to use a special brush for stroke, which cannot be replaced by using fill. Vector curves (closed one) allow any stroke size, totally unrelated to the size (bounding box) of the shape.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

3 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Yes, start with both set to 4px.

Then, reduce radius (not stroke width) of circle to trigger issue.

Why not? Affinity should document such restrictions, or filter input in cases it is not valid.

i know of course you could make a larger donut shape and use fill instead of stroke. But you may want to use a special brush for stroke, which cannot be replaced by using fill. Vector curves (closed one) allow any stroke size, totally unrelated to the size (bounding box) of the shape.

But stroke/line width greater than the radius means the stroke is wrapping back on itself like turning inside out. I can see why it would be hard to trap that case in software, at least it does not crash and handles it as best it probably can I think.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

1 hour ago, Paul Mudditt said:

But stroke/line width greater than the radius means the stroke is wrapping back on itself like turning inside out

Not if you use „outside“ alignment as i have stated in step 3 of my starting post.

13 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

add ellipse shape (circle), radius 4px, no fill, black stroke, align outside

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

It seems issue is no longer reproducible on V2.2

Even the circle in vector view mode looks differently now.

can be closed.