You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scaling and effects

Darner

To the Affinity People.

Discovered some defects after tried scaling a bit more than usual with a bit more complex shapes.
This was mainly on:
- Stroke
- Effects (FX)
- Rounded corner with "corner tool". Even with the box for "scale with object" checked.

Also been buggy sometimes with the corner tool if moving and rotating object a bit after adding the "rounded corners".

Aware of the expand / bake things to avoid this with simple objects. But this is related to more advanced and none destructive processes in general.
Also if possible to have "scale with object" with "corner tool" instead of "baking", it would be nice.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Would like to add:
Be nice with a "scale all FX with all objects".
When complex multiple shapes and multiple effects, be nice to just check one time instead of each and every layer with FX.

In Transform Window, something called "Layer effect Radii" on "Scale with object". Don't look like effecting FX?

• Staff

Hi Darner please could you confirm if this still occurs in our 2.0.3 update? It may be handy if you could provide a sample file I can use to recreate this issue here at my end.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi. thanks for getting back to me.
Yes still occurs a bit in latest edition of Designer V2.
Issue scaling related to Contour Tool and Corner Tool.

I'm aware of "baking" and "converting". Also tried "locked" on "scale override" without able to solve the issue.
Generally trying to achieve as much none destructive as possible.
Looks like the stroke scale is improved since last version.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to +1 this topic. I've found that FX are not scaling with the rest of my vectors. Using 2.0.4.61 on Mac OS12.5.1.

Shadow, glow, and blur scaling problems can be seen the the attached images.Vectors scaled but the FX parameters do not scale proportionally. Scale with object was enabled.

Scale 1 - original size.png

Scale 2 - scaled up.png

5 hours ago, GezH said:

My apologies for my missing this and wasting time.

Didn't waste my time. I either learned something or was reminded of a feature I had forgotten.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

16 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Didn't waste my time. I either learned something or was reminded of a feature I had forgotten.

Really nice of you to say. I certainly learned something and I’m grateful for that. I just wish I hadn’t done so in a manner quite so publicly embarrassing. 😄 

Thank you for your kind words. 

• 9 months later...

Hi

Seems like scaling is still an issue in v 2.3 Affinity Designer, mostly rounded corners which are not "baked". 
Also tried the setting in "transform window" where you can set "scale with object" on shape corners". But didn't affect rounded corners unfortunately.

Regarding stroke and fx for scaling with object... Familiar it is possible to "scale with object", unfortunately this needs to be set on each layer individually. Would be great to be able to select all, and add "scale with object.
Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 7:48 PM, Darner said:

To the Affinity People.

Discovered some defects after tried scaling a bit more than usual with a bit more complex shapes.
This was mainly on:
- Stroke
- Effects (FX)
- Rounded corner with "corner tool". Even with the box for "scale with object" checked.

Also been buggy sometimes with the corner tool if moving and rotating object a bit after adding the "rounded corners".

Aware of the expand / bake things to avoid this with simple objects. But this is related to more advanced and none destructive processes in general.
Also if possible to have "scale with object" with "corner tool" instead of "baking", it would be nice.

Thank you.

Affinity Staff!

Please have a look at this one for the coming update if possible. 
Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...