You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This should be quite easy, but it does not work for me. I have opted for a floating toolbar and would like to add the Flip Horizontal tool and others to this toolbar. I've tried dragging from everywhere to the toolbar (via Customize Toolbar and Customize Tools in View), but nothing pops into the toolbar. This may have something to do with the fact that I have no tools along the horizontal top of my AD screen. I chose not to have ithere and now can't find how to get it back there. Where am I going wrong? Thanks.

where did you drag the horizontal flip tool from?

i've taken a look into this, and adding this tool would be useful for me too, but -as far as i can understand- the toolbar and the tool area can be populated only with the tools that appear in the respective source areas when you select view=>customize tools/toolbar... and i can't find the flip horizontal tool in any of the two source areas.

at least, in affinity photo.

take care,

stefano

I saw the Flip commands in the Customize Toolbar window, and that tells me that dragging them was an option. If it is not, then why do they appear there and why does it say to drag what I want to the  toolbar? I'm not questioning your answer but asking why AD shows this.

Also, I do not find these commands (Flip, etc)  in AD's menu commands, that I understand to be the top menu = File, Edit ... View, etc. When I first entered AD I saw the horizontal list of icons along the top of my AD screen, but since I wanted more editing space on my screen so I got rid of them, how I now forget. I have not yet found any way to get them to appear again. How do I get them up again? Perhaps that is what you mean my "Menu Commands." Thanks much.

I've just noted that "Tools" is different than "Toolbar." The Toolbar is what I am missing, even though I have turned it on and off (in View and via a Shortcut) dozens of times. When View shows that Toolbar is checked (visible), I see nothing different on the screen, nor can I drag the bar from the Customize Toolbar window to any where on the screen or in AD. I believe that AD should rename Toolbar to Command Bar or something like that since one would think that a Toolbar has tools in it. Again, am I missing something. Thanks.

if i understand you correctly, you emptied the toolbar and that's why nothing changes when you make it visible/invisible.

go to the menu, select view, the customise toolbar, then drag any icon from the panel that opens to the area just below the title bar of the app, thn click "done" at the bottom of the panel.

then, from the menu, select view and then show toolbar. you should get the toolbar back again, then customize it following the above steps.

take care,

stefano

I believe that AD should rename Toolbar to Command Bar or something like that since one would think that a Toolbar has tools in it. Again, am I missing something. Thanks.

For what little it's worth, the "Toolbar" naming convention is one you will find used in many OS X apps, including some of Apple's own like Preview & Safari. So for instance, if you are using Safari to read this, control-click on the top section of the window (the toolbar) & you will see the "Customize Toolbar..." option pop up. In general, toolbars contain buttons that perform some immediate action, although there also are some that activate dropdown menus.

Collections of tool icons are sometimes called "tool palettes" to distinguish them from toolbars. If that was not confusing enough, we now have other window-spanning bars with different names & purposes. For example, Safari has the Favorites bar, the status bar, & the sidebar; & Affinity has the Contextual toolbar. iTunes has ... well, a bunch of stuff, some of which doesn't even seem to have a name.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks, barninga, but this does not seem to work, unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm not sure where the title bar of the app is. I tried dragging to the title "Affinity Designer" at the very top left of the screen (where the currently used app is listed), and the doc title I'm currently working on, and to the Affinity Designer in my doc. I tried with a doc open and then restarting the program without a doc up. Thanks for any clarification you can provide. Much appreciated!

Thanks much, MEB. I was thinking that this is the only thing left for me to do, and then your message came with the "how to." I'm not sure what I did to get rid of the Toolbar, but I've tried everything to get it back. My problem was that I thought these were simply tools. You cleared that up for me. Thanks for your patience and insights.