You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lock brush size?

Apparently not. The option-click/alt-click modifier as on desktop doesn't work on iPad, not even with a hardware keyboard.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

The option-click/alt-click modifier as on desktop

And in fact, that trick only works with vector brushes in Designer… :/ D'oh.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 minute ago, loukash said:

only works with vector brushes in Designer

But the good news is that option-click also works in Designer on iPad! :) 

5 hours ago, TwangerMan said:

Not there.

The help file may be outdated.

In v2.0, it was the round button in the bottom left corner.
In v2.0.3, you can toggle it via Document menu > Toggle Command Controller

Still not there.  The words “option” and “click” don’t appear on the page.  Are talking about the 4 curved buttons and their respective symbols forming the outer circle of the Command Controller.   The top button is “shift”, and the left button is “ctrl”…?   That would leave the other buttons to be “alt” and “option”.   If this is correct, I would suggest a much much better “help” file would contain this detail and say exactly what the symbols mean.   Also, with only a pen and no mouse, I am left to presume a “click” is tapping the screen with the pen.

in any case, I find the functionality for remembering or quickly setting the brush size to be very poorly done.  Among other things.  Though A.D. is very powerful in some respects, it is also crippled by a lack of imagination when it comes the interface on the iPad.  Also crippled by Serif obviously not hearing their users.  For instance, users have been commenting for years about the incomplete functionality of managing/editing Styles, and it is still crap.  

Adding on to this thread… online searches to this issue hasn’t produced any solutions… looks like there may be no solution. 

Pretty desperate for a way to lock raster brush size on IPad (Affinity V2)…. Using multiple brushes is INCREDIBLY tedious as it sits now!

This is how it goes RN… brush defaults are all say 35px… I’m working on detail in a small area and go between a line brush and a shading/stippling brush. I want all my brushes to be @ 10px… pick one brush, then adjust to 10px… need to switch brushes, cool, now adjust back to 10px… done with that portion of drawing and need to swap brushes again, cool, now adjust back to 10px. It just seems like an unnecessary extra step you have to take EVERY time you change a brush but want the size to remain constant. 

I feel like there needs to be a toggle or something in the brush studio/panel that would allow your current size setting to override the brush default. Then the brush could be opened at the currently selected size OR the brush’s default size. Having each brush always open at its ‘default size’ setting means spending a TON of time resetting the size to what you want, especially when using multiple brushes; it gets old REAL quick. 

(I know you could create new brushes/ groups with different settings but I don’t want tons of copies of all my brushes that are only differentiated by size, that also feels like a bad solution). 

Eagerly waiting any update or solution to this issue… 

As a workaround for now, duplicate the brushes you use often, adjust their sizes so that they match and save them to your own category.
That's what I did some time ago, and I copied that to iPad, too.

7 hours ago, theshadowsfly said:

Eagerly waiting any update or solution to this issue… 

A possible workaround for your work flow. Tap the brushes quick menu in context toolbar. Set a preferred size and save. This will be the size when you return to using the brush. Quick to set up.

When/if you want to return to default simply swipe left on brush in brush studio and tap reset.🙂

C3716D06-42C0-4925-B95E-1B7DD44402CC.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

@DM1 Def appreciate your time and response on this… that solution just doesn’t solve the problem though. i would still have to manually adjust each brush size on a per use basis (time consuming), then end up with tons of copies of my brushes which only differ by size. Like TwangerMan said, when you save a brush it ‘saves a copy’ so not only do you have to adjust the size, then save it, you also have to rename it…. It’s just sooooo many extra steps that shouldn’t be necessary… This is a problem that deserves a proper fix. 

14 hours ago, theshadowsfly said:

This is a problem that deserves a proper fix. 

I fully agree🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/