You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to save document - Save failed because the file could not be written to

Just encountered this shit today in Designer v2. Fortunately in a simple testfile when I experimented with different brushes and their invividual settings.

• MacOS latest Ventura, M1
  • File stored in iCloud - with one embedded jpg file, zero linked files, zero complexity, file a few days old
  • Save as in a non-cloud folder resulted in the same error and a zero byte file

The goofy advice to save locally like in the 90's is not what I will do - then the workaround is to retire Affinity alltogether. Which, by the way, is my New Year's resolution.

My files are stored in Dropbox or iCloud, edited BOTH on a Mac M1 or on an iPad Pro M2 for weeks or months. I work from offices, trains, airplanes and homes on different devices. A beautiful workflow and maximum freedom. But apparently using Affinity software like this results in data loss: cannot write file or can write a corrupted file!

If Serif - as the only company that I know of - is not able to support Dropbox, OneDrive or iCloud (while the entire industry goes cloud) I can only use the term their own marketing department loves so much: jawdropping

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

7 hours ago, François R said:

Just encountered this shit today in Designer v2. Fortunately in a simple testfile when I experimented with different brushes and their invividual settings.

• MacOS latest Ventura, M1
  • File stored in iCloud - with one embedded jpg file, zero linked files, zero complexity, file a few days old

The goofy advice to save locally like in the 90's is not what I will do - then the workaround is to retire Affinity alltogether. Which, by the way, is my New Year's resolution.

My files are stored in Dropbox or iCloud, edited BOTH on a Mac M1 or on an iPad Pro M2 for weeks or months. I work from offices, trains, airplanes and homes on different devices. A beautiful workflow and maximum freedom. But apparently using Affinity software like this results in data loss: cannot write file or can write a corrupted file!

If Serif - as the only company that I know of - is not able to support Dropbox, OneDrive or iCloud (while the entire industry goes cloud) I can only use the term their own marketing department loves so much: jawdropping

You say you are using in multiple devices. You did save and then close the file on each device completely and waited for the cloud service to sync before attempting to access the file on the other device. In particular you removed the file from the iPad sandbox before accessing on desktop?

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

7 hours ago, François R said:

I'm having difficulty understanding the steps that led to the error. The file was stored in iCloud. You opened it and chose Save As to a non-iCloud folder and it resulted in an error and zero-byte file. Is that correct?

Where was the save folder? On Dropbox, another cloud, your SSD, an external drive, or on a network drive?

Is the problem repeatable or intermittent? I'd open the original file several times and try saving to the new location to see what happens.

I know there are lingering iCloud issues (and like you I choose to use it because I prefer it) but where you opened it from shouldn't be relevant if there are no linked resources and you're not saving to the same location.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

6 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I'm having difficulty understanding the steps that led to the error. The file was stored in iCloud. You opened it and chose Save As to a non-iCloud folder and it resulted in an error and zero-byte file. Is that correct?

Where was the save folder? On Dropbox, another cloud, your SSD, an external drive, or on a network drive?

Is the problem repeatable or intermittent? I'd open the original file several times and try saving to the new location to see what happens.

I know there are lingering iCloud issues (and like you I choose to use it because I prefer it) but where you opened it from shouldn't be relevant if there are no linked resources and you're not saving to the same location.

Affinity lost the ability to save the file while working on it. Had saved the file minutes before. Always save in an iCloud folder.

Tried saving the file in a non-cloud-folder instead after the error to save my work and still no luck. Affinity only saved a zero-byte file.

Had to close Designer and restart it to work on the file again.

It is the lingering issues with this "cannot write to file" issues that can apparently pop up out of nowhere and the ditto lingering DISASTROUS file corruption issues that makes me mad. Serif simply have to figure out how to solve the issue. Not being able to work in cloud folders without taking the risk of losing data because of Serifs implementation is pure madness.

I have to work like the current year is 2023 - every other application and app I have work fine with cloud folders and network drives. I wouldn't save gigantic files on a network drive, but it has to work with cloud synced folders. It is not a nice to scenario. It is a business requirement that is perfectly normal in 2023. Outside the walls of Serif Software.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

François, we know you are upset but it would be much easier to help if you focused on the details, screen recordings and other details such as how much free iCloud do you have, how much free memory you have on your iPad, are you using iPadOS beta version and if it is repeatable what steps can we (users) take to try and replicate your failure mode. 

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

8 hours ago, François R said:

Affinity lost the ability to save the file while working on it. Had saved the file minutes before. Always save in an iCloud folder.

Tried saving the file in a non-cloud-folder instead after the error to save my work and still no luck. Affinity only saved a zero-byte file.

I'm still confused. "Affinity lost the ability to save the file" - by this do you mean you're getting a "failed to save" alert? Can you share a screenshot? There are multiple versions of this alert but in general the issue is with saving to the current file. Just choose Save As and save to a new file in the same folder, and it will work fine. There's no need to save to a new non-iCloud folder. I know this bug is frustrating and I encounter it frequently but it's easy to work around.

"Tried saving the file in a non-cloud-folder instead after the error to save my work and still no luck. Affinity only saved a zero-byte file." - I asked you where you're trying to save to, on Dropbox, another cloud, your SSD, an external drive, or on a network drive? Without this information there's no point posting here.

I also asked you if the problem is repeatable or intermittent? If you save the file to this non-iCloud folder and it results in a zero-byte file, what happens if you then immediately save to a different drive? What if you save it 5 times in a row to the same folder under new names, file1, file2, file3...? Are they all zero-byte?

More information would be helpful in understanding the issue. Thanks.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 9 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Saving Failed increasing frequency of reports" (REF: AFP-4826) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.2.1 Release".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us

• 4 weeks later...

@Serif Info Bot I just recently started having this issue.  It have only gotten it to occur in Designer, not Photo (though I don't use Photo nearly as often.)  I am using a Mac and iCloud Drive, but the issue occurs both in folders which are on iCloud, and folders which are not. I have also tried writing to files in the same folder with Pages, and the issue does not occur. Needless to say, it is driving me crazy.  I am on AD 2.2.1

• 2 weeks later...