You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font question in Designer 2

Whenever I have missing fonts in a file, Designer 2 can identify the family name but it cannot identify the style when the file is opened.

I use Suitcase Fusion 20.0.7 as a font manager. When I find the family name it lists all the styles in the family (regular, bold, etc)

In Suitcase Fusion I can click on the style to activate the font. If I happen to click on the correct style, Designer 2 will update the font immediately. If I don't click on the correct style nothing happens in Designer 2. But if I continue to activate different styles I will eventually hit the right one and it will update in Designer 2. Because of the time involved when fonts go missing I have created a font list for every project so that I don't have to hunt and peck for the correct style.

Question: If Designer 2 can identify the correct font style when it is activated in Suitcase Fusion, why can't it identify the font style when the project file is first opened up? Designer 1 worked the same way. 

I see that Suitcase has moved to a subscription based model. I can't find out from their website whether or not Auto Activation ever worked for the Affinity applications. Currently it appears that they only support the Adobe applications.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

This is an old non-subscription version of SF. It still works perfectly fine. Although not specifically supported with Serif apps, it does work. I can also create folders that work with specific applications. The connection between Designer 2 and Suitcase Fusion (SF) it what intrigues me. Unless SF is somehow doing all the heavy lifting, Designer 2 is unable to identify the font style when the file is opened yet does recognize the style when activated in SF.

1 hour ago, kanihoncho said:

is unable to identify the font style when the file is opened yet does recognize the style when activated in SF.

Perhaps you could give us a screenshot showing the initial messages you get from Designer? And perhaps a sample .afdesign document that triggers them? (Or, are you talking about opening PDF files? If so, a sample PDF would be useful.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This has been the standard behavior with all files in AD 1 and 2 when an AD file is opened (no pdfs involved) that has fonts missing when used in conjunction with Suitcase Fusion (SF). SF, at least to my knowledge and with this version of SF, is not officially supported. The two work fine together unless a font is missing. I assume what I am seeing is standard behavior because of this fact. It has always worked this way and I assumed it was because of the unofficial support. 

A. This popup upon opening the file shows the missing font names and then disappears quickly

B. The missing font has a question mark in front of the name; no style is identified (regular, bold, italic etc)

C. The character menu also does not show the style

The reason this has popped up again is because I have to update old files that did not have their file fonts in the Aff. Designer type folder in SF for activation. Fonts are automatically activated in the SF font folder for Aff. Designer. The fonts used that are in Google fonts (in SF) also automatically update Designer files when activated. The only issue is that font styles are not recognized when opening a Designer file.

When activating the font with the proper style in SF, after not being identified in Designer when opening the file, Designer is suddenly able to identify the style and update itself. In SF if the font is bold, selecting any other style does nothing. If I select bold, it works and update Designer!

fonts.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Staff
On 12/28/2022 at 8:34 PM, kanihoncho said:

C. The character menu also does not show the style

Does the it show the style on the Context toolbar, along the top of the app?  For example, i've typed a word in bold, saved and closed the file, deactivated the font in Font Book and reopened the file.  If i select text, the Character Panel shows no style, in this case Bold but the icon for Bold is active on the toolbar along the top.  I think i've got an old copy of SF installed on my Mac in the office, so should be able to try this again when i'm in the office tomorrow and see if theres any differences.  

No. My workaround is that I create a text file that specifies every individual font and style used for each document . . .   I have also created a special font folder in Suitcase that holds all fonts used in Affinity products . . . I'll just have to hunt and peck fonts until I get all my legacy files updated . . .