You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance leak in version 2.0.3

Hello

When I use Photo on my Surface Pro under Windows 10 (22H2) to do small RAW edits, the performance gets worse photo by photo. After the 4th photo it gets so bad that Photo hangs. Only a system reboot helps.
I know that the Surface doesn't have the best performance for image editing, but it is sufficient for small edits on the fly. And the first two edits don't have a problem either. I also don't have the problem with version 1 of Photo. In both versions I don't use OpenCL acceleration, because basically the OpenCL is slower than without GPU acceleration.

Anyone an idea???

Regards

Jens

Hello

I did a few basic tests.
To do this, I looked at 5 runs of the same image (32MP, CR3[craw; 15.9MB]) with the same settings. Significant here is the memory usage and RAW development time, which reflects the increasing sluggishness of the system well.
Runs: After system start, second, third, fourth, fifth (after restarting Photo)
Memory before image loading: 572MB, 1931MB, 1721MB, 3115MB, 574MB
Memory after image loading: 2029MB, 3014MB, 2710MB, 4217MB, 2032MB
Development time: 38s, 54s, 117s, 140s, 39s
Memory after development: 2288MB, 1454MB, 3069MB, 3501MB, 2328MB
A few adjustments that I made manually and were therefore not measurable, but noticeably sluggish.
Memory after image close: 1931MB, 1721MB, 3115MB, 3752MB, 2327MB
You can clearly see that the first two passes are ok and there is a hard cut as soon as you want to develop the third image.

It looks like a memory leak in Photo 2, because it seems that the memory will not be released completly after close an image. The solution isn't to buy new hardware and develop images by brute force. The solution is, that Serif should fix this leak, so it can help powerful and weak hardware.

greeting

Jens Langsdorf

I tried it on my more powerful workstation (Intel 11th Gen i7; Win 11 22H2) to check it out. It's there too!!! The only advantage on this workstation is that it is harder to perceive. I used the same image to test. Memory does not seem to be released properly. RAW development takes longer and longer. Initially 3s. By the tenth pass it takes 14s. The system becomes more sluggish, even you feel it less.

Regards

Jens

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On my computer, the current beta version (2.1)  has the same issue as the 2.0.4 : in some cases uses lots of memory and then basically does not respond anymore .

See attached example of memory usage the the Publisher Affinity of a task consisting of data merger of svg images. The publisher at that point would not respond anymore. The rendered pdf is expected to have about 36.6 MB of memory, yet the Affinity Publisher used about 21.79GB of memory and then it does not seem to respond anymore. 

699658255_Screenshotafinity2.1beta2023-04-03150246.png.67e5e5f0e2c7fa868e10cd84c58c83a4.png

• Staff
14 hours ago, j2023 said:

On my computer, the current beta version (2.1)  has the same issue as the 2.0.4 : in some cases uses lots of memory and then basically does not respond anymore .

See attached example of memory usage the the Publisher Affinity of a task consisting of data merger of svg images. The publisher at that point would not respond anymore. The rendered pdf is expected to have about 36.6 MB of memory, yet the Affinity Publisher used about 21.79GB of memory and then it does not seem to respond anymore. 

699658255_Screenshotafinity2.1beta2023-04-03150246.png.67e5e5f0e2c7fa868e10cd84c58c83a4.png

Thanks for trying 2.1 Beta. How much RAM do you have installed on your system and what is the RAM Usage Limit set to within the app's Preferences?

• Staff
On 4/5/2023 at 6:20 AM, j2023 said:

32 GB physical RAM installed

16384 MB of RAM limit set within the app's Preferences.

Thanks for the information. Is this happening with a particular document or all documents you try and export? Do you have OpenCL enabled?