You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Switch to next open document shortcut (photo 2, macOS)

Are you using any utilities for keyboard shortcuts? Any 3rd party Utilities at all?

It works here with the one exception of having torn off a couple of documents from the main window and having a document in the main window. I can use the Command + ` (commonly yet wrongly referred to as the Tilde key) to switch from document to document. If I have one in the main Window then I can only go through once, then I can use the Shift + Command + ` to cycle back. The document in the Main Window is never selected but that main window is some how breaking the shortcut. If you have the Main window with no document in it then you can tab through the open documents as per normal.

If all the documents are in the consolidated window then I have no problem with the "Tilde" key.

So this is some sort of bug. Weirdly limited and oddly overcome.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

No utilities that mess with shortcuts, no.

I found cmd+` shortcut in the system preferences is called "move focus to new window". Im guessing this is the issue because there's no more windows (separated mode was sacrificed for some unification goals).

At least make a way to reassign this shortcut. Its not in menus (so I can assign it thru system preferences), and not in preferences/keyboard shortcuts.

7 minutes ago, antonkudin said:

CMD+` tilda is a common way to switch between open documents on mac. It doesn't work.

If you mean to switch between different documents open in one of the Affinity apps, CMD+the Grave Accent character is working for me UNLESS like @Old Bruce mentioned I have one or more torn off documents. Also FWIW, if no documents are torn off (so all of them are in tabs) CTRL+TAB will also cycle among them.

21 minutes ago, antonkudin said:

Help lists CTRL+TAB, but it's not common and there's no way to assign this shortcut in preferences.

If you mean to switch between apps, the keyboard shortcuts for that are CMD+TAB & CMD+Shift+TAB. I do not see a shortcut setting for that in Affinity preferences, nor would I expect to see that there since it switches between apps.

9 minutes ago, antonkudin said:

I found cmd+` shortcut in the system preferences is called "move focus to new window". Im guessing this is the issue because there's no more windows (separated mode was sacrificed for some unification goals).

Try opening 2 or more documents or document views in Tabs in AP 2 (what @Old Bruce was referring to as the consolidated window) & using the CMD+` shortcut. This should switch between the tabbed documents and/or different views of the same document.

As for the system preference it works for any app that can have more than one document window open at the same time. So for example, with two or more different Finder windows open, it will move the focus from one to the next; or with Preview.app set to open each image in its own window to switch among them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm attempting to switch between two open documents in Photo. CMD+` doesn't do anything. Nothing is "torn off", documents are open in tabs.

Not apps, between documents. Help page here:

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Workspace/shortcuts.html?title=Keyboard shortcuts

lists Switch Document/View as CTRL+Tab.

I know how system prefs shortcuts work ;]

Both of these work for me

Control + Tab

and 

Command + `

This is with a standard Mac (US layout) extended keyboard. I know there are other problems with German layout keyboards.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

12 minutes ago, antonkudin said:

I'm attempting to switch between two open documents in Photo. CMD+` doesn't do anything. Nothing is "torn off", documents are open in tabs.

Not apps, between documents. Help page here:

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Workspace/shortcuts.html?title=Keyboard shortcuts

lists Switch Document/View as CTRL+Tab.

I know how system prefs shortcuts work ;]

I don't know what to tell you other than that both CMD+` & CTRL+tab work for me as long as all the documents or views are in tabs.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, antonkudin said:

Yep, I have Move focus to next window the same, others are turned off.

So do I but like for @Old Bruce that has no effect on the shortcuts that switch among documents and/or views in Affinity apps because for both of us they work as expected.

So the only thing I can think of for you to try is maybe to delete the CMD+` shortcut & reenter it to see if that fixes it, or failing that to try one of the app reset options ... although I don't know which one(s) might help.

BTW, do you have any other V2 Affinity apps installed? If so, does the CMD+` shortcut work for them?

Affinity Photo 

16 minutes ago, antonkudin said:

Cmd+~ does nothing still.

Are you using the tilde or the grave accent?

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, antonkudin said:

Donno what its called exactly. Button under esc, like usual.

On a US Apple keyboard you get the grave accent (`) if you press that key without the shift key held down & the tilde (~) if you press it with the shift key held down.

Affinity Photo 

9 minutes ago, antonkudin said:

cmd+shift+` doesn't do anything either.

??? Do not use shift to get the grave accent character. Do that & you will get the tilde instead.

Affinity Photo 

Does Command + ` work in any other applications to switch between open documents' windows? It works here.

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I know there are other problems with German layout keyboards.

Not much with a customized de-keyb layout, like for example ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Try this.

1. Go to Preferences > Shortcuts
  2. Click Save and save your shortcuts to a file
  3. Click Serif Defaults - this reverts just the shortcuts to factory settings (*FYI there's a bug in US English where this button is named Reset but it does the same thing). You won't lose your shortcuts because you have them saved and can load them back later.
  4. Now try and toggle between documents with Cmd+~

If it works, then there's something wrong with your shortcuts. If it doesn't work, then it's a problem outside of Affinity where something is conflicting with it.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

@antonkudin, it probably won't help but would mind posting a screenshot of your AP 2 Preferences window with the first popup set to Photo & the second popup set to Miscellaneous?

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Now try and toggle between documents with Cmd+~

It's CMD & grave accent, NOT tilde!!!!!

Affinity Photo