You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there any easier way to do seamless patterns now in v2?

Hey, I wondered if there is an easier way to do pattern designs now in v2 software. 

I find it quite laborious how it is now with manually doing this duplicating and offsetting thingy at the borders. I think of a more automatical way to achieve a seamless pattern and I think it should be possible for the software to calculate the needed offset and whatever is needed to make this a dynamic experience on the fly. Even the preparations with creating 2 artboards and creating a symbol layer in artboard 1 and copying it to artboard 2 and everything could and should be possible with one click/decision when generating a new document. It's not very intuitive how it is handled in the current state. Seeing so many crazy new features it's weird something so simple and important isn't part of these, so maybe I have just missed it. 

Thanks a lot

Lisa

@matsunekori welcome to the forums :)

I see you're using Designer, do you also have Photo? In V2 of Affinity Photo, there's the Pattern Layers.

Affinity Photo Pattern Layers-Online Help

Pattern Layers Tutorial (YouTube)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

There are no "shortcuts" to making a seamless pattern in any Affinity apps.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 5 months later...

Notwithstanding all of the above, it seems to me that the thin frame in the middle is an unwanted artifact (aka bug in the art world)?

In case it's not clear, this is a new pattern layer from selection.

It's not a feature I'm likely to use, I was just checking it out, but it seemed worth kvetching about anyway. :)

Or is it supposed to be a feature?

EDIT: I see it doesn't appear in the output file, so maybe it's not the highest priority anyway.

image.thumb.jpeg.f02b5157ec98c48ed0ffd1926e7ad72e.jpeg

36 minutes ago, nickbatz said:

Notwithstanding all of the above, it seems to me that the thin frame in the middle is an unwanted artifact (aka bug in the art world)?

In case it's not clear, this is a new pattern layer from selection.

It's not a feature I'm likely to use, I was just checking it out, but it seemed worth kvetching about anyway. :)

Or is it supposed to be a feature?

EDIT: I see it doesn't appear in the output file, so maybe it's not the highest priority anyway.

Is this in Affinity Photo - as in using the pattern layer feature? The thin line in your photo does show in Affinity Designer when you are not 'clipped to canvas' and is basically just showing you where the edge of the canvas is but as you say when you export it as png or jpg it only exports the canvas so doesn't show anyway.